New wall light is dim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive replaced a switched wall light (two bulb) and rewired it the same but both lights are dim.
they have 25W bulbs in and are very dim and when I fit 40W bulbs the problem is worse, they are even dimmer (barely lit).

The light is fed from 1mm twin and earth.
The live goes straight into the small corded switch from the twin and earth.
A live comes out the other side of the corded switch to a connector strip.
Two lives from the opposite port feed each bulb.

The neutral from the twin and earth goes into a different port on the strip.
Two neutrals from the other side feed the bulbs.
A earth from the twin and earth goes into a different port on the strip.
The earth from the light casing meets that earth in the strip.

Pull the cord to turn the light on both bulbs are very dim.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As above posting some pictures of the terminal points would help, seems you have terminated the cables incorrectly.
It would be handy if you had some approved testing equipment for continuity and voltage (not a neon screwdriver)
Also if you visit this link, you can gain an understanding on how lighting circuits work.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

... it sounds like they are connected in series rather than parallel.
It does, indeed, but ...
The light is fed from 1mm twin and earth.
The live goes straight into the small corded switch from the twin and earth.
A live comes out the other side of the corded switch to a connector strip.
Two lives from the opposite port feed each bulb.

The neutral from the twin and earth goes into a different port on the strip.
Two neutrals from the other side feed the bulbs.
A earth from the twin and earth goes into a different port on the strip.
The earth from the light casing meets that earth in the strip.
... sounds like a pretty clear description of parallel connection of the lamps. As you say, a photo would be good, so that we can try to decide for ourselves.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Probably clipped the cable insulation on one of the terminals.
I take it these lights aren't on a dimmer switch are they?

My first thought was wired in series.
From the description of the wiring it`s difficult to be certain either way.

A ketch would be helpful or even a pic if it`s a clear one.

My first thought was wired in series. ... From the description of the wiring it`s difficult to be certain either way.
As I said, that was also my first thought, but I did (and still do) think that the description (assuming it is correct) was fairly clear. If there really are two Ls and two Ns going from two terminals to the two lamps, how could the lamps be in series (unless, perversely, having taken 4 conductors from the block, two of them were simply joined together somewhere)?

Kind Regards, John

Another switch anywhere? If the strappers had been mis-identified then the lamps could be in series although the apparent live and neutral seem to be in the correct places.

Another switch anywhere? If the strappers had been mis-identified then the lamps could be in series although the apparent live and neutral seem to be in the correct places.
I'm not sure I get that. The two lamps are in the same fitting and, if I understand the OP's description correctly, the lamps are each fed by an L/N pair, those two pairs being joined together at a connector block. If that's the case, the lamps are surely in parallel, regardless of anything to do with switching, aren't they?

Kind Regards, John

If all he did was to replace a light and correctly connect L/N/E, then however the switches were arranged is irrelevant.

If the lamps are in series, removing one of them will result in the other one not working at all.
This seems unlikely given the description of the wiring.

The other possibility is a high impedance supply, which could be caused by the switch being defective internally, or some other damaged/burnt/overheated connection elsewhere.

:oops: :oops: :oops: Misread it as being two separate luminaires. .... But ...are there actually two luminaires and another (wall) switch? Has the OP replaced one luminaire, leaving the other in position and with both controlled by two way wall switches? The OP reports on the built in switch but doesn't give any information on a possible room control switch. In that case the mis-identification of L and N by confusing them with strappers would, I think, be possible.

As said, what happens if one lamp is removed?

:oops: :oops: :oops: Misread it as being two separate luminaires. .... But ...are there actually two luminaires and another (wall) switch? Has the OP replaced one luminaire, leaving the other in position and with both controlled by two way wall switches?
My understanding is that the OP has replaced a (probably two-lamp) luminaire with a new two-lamp one.
The OP reports on the built in switch but doesn't give any information on a possible room control switch. In that case the mis-identification of L and N by confusing them with strappers would, I think, be possible.
Even if there were a separate wall-switch, that surely wouldn't be arranged as 'two-way switching' between that and the in-fitting switch, would it? In any event, the OP only has one T&E feeding the fitting - so no strappers :)
As said, what happens if one lamp is removed?
Indeed. That would certainly answer the 'series or parallel' question once and for all - although I really cannot see, from what we've been told, how the lamps could be in series!

Kind Regards, John

Random thought, the OP didn't replace an elv light with an external transformer with a lv light ?

Just wondering how long these threads are supposed to go on for, when the OP never reappears.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back