Lights controlled by same switch - some dim, some not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just changed the lights and there's something not quite right now...
There are three lights all controlled by the same switch. If there are bulbs in just one of them, it's all ok. If I then put bulbs in another light, one of the lights will come on immediately on "full" power, but the other light will slowly light up but the bulbs will remain _very_ _very_ dim. If I remove the bulbs from the first light, then switch everything back on, the previously dim light is fine.
There's no dimmer, no two-way - just a one-way light switch controlling these...

Something tells me that there's something not quite (or very) wrong here.....!

Any clues?!
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
yep.

it sounds like you have wired them in series

do these lights have transformers?

Theyre just normal lights with normal bulbs- no transformer.

I kind see the difference between serial and parallel - but not quite sure how this affects the actual wiring. I've check the wiring between two of the lights, and it all looks like the "connecting two lights in parallel" section from the wiki.
What would the diagram look like if there were two lights in serial??

As in the wiki diagram, The L, N and E from 2 cables go into a
terminal block at the back of the one lights - one cable goes to the switch, the other cable continues to the next light. So it follows the diagram as far as I can see....
And it's these two lights that I've changed - the third one is the other end of the room, and I'm not aware of having done anything to the wiring with that one (but preusumably I have upset it in some way!).

Presumably, if I pull the bulbs out of one light in the series, then the other one in series won't light at all??? And this is how I find which two for the series here....? Or have I completely missed something?!

THANKS!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back