New wall light is dim

Just wondering how long these threads are supposed to go on for, when the OP never reappears.
We carry on until either the OP reappears or JohnW2 starts a new thread on the OP's likely whereabouts and how we can utilise BS7671 to minimise the potential harm that might come to the OP due to his lack of communication skills - but with specific focus on the merits and demerits of how the prospect of parallel wiring this lamp against serial wiring could cause this as of yet unknown fault that caused things to go dim in the night (and breath). ;)

Sponsored Links
John said,"Even if there were a separate wall-switch, that surely wouldn't be arranged as 'two-way switching' between that and the in-fitting switch, would it? In any event, the OP only has one T&E feeding the fitting - so no strappers icon_smile.gif "
It would if the original fitting used a two-way switch so the lights could be turned on/off at the lamp or at the door - AND there is or was another lamp. We are assuming that the wall switch is not a dimmer but a normal 2-way switch.
Assume a switch at the door which is not a dimmer but a normal 2-way switch. It has the feed. From this a strapper goes to the two-way on the fitting and the live supplies this fitting and the second fitting. The second fitting has the connection to the circuit neutral and originally the neutral from the first fitting went to the neutral terminal on the second fitting. Now with the new connections as described power goes to the new fitting through the lamps then to the second fitting and through that lamp to neutral. The assumed neutral on the first fitting either has mains voltage or nothing so no trips. Of course the whole scheme could be reversed but the principle would remain.

I think that there is something we're not told (such as the OP has replaced two independent units with one double -- and finding a T&E has assumed it to be the feed?). The fact that the 40W lamps are dimmer though they have lower resistance again suggests that there is a controlling resistance such as another lamp. The OP doesn't mention any flicker or changes in brightness so a simple poor connection is possible but unlikely.

Just wondering how long these threads are supposed to go on for, when the OP never reappears.
Good question, at least as a general one. In this case, it's only been a couple of days, and since the OP has only posted 6 messages in 6 months, he prpbably doesn't visit all that frequently - so he may be back in a while. At least no-one has jumped in to 'frighten him off', which is quite often the problem with non-returning OPs :)

Kind Regards, John

We carry on until either the OP reappears or JohnW2 starts a new thread on the OP's likely whereabouts and how we can utilise BS7671 to minimise the potential harm that might come to the OP due to his lack of communication skills - but with specific focus on the merits and demerits of how the prospect of parallel wiring this lamp against serial wiring could cause this as of yet unknown fault that caused things to go dim in the night (and breath). ;)
:)

At least no-one has jumped in to 'frighten him off', which is quite often the problem with non-returning OPs :)
You said it.

It's interesting how often questions which get most analysis are the ones where the OP seems least interested.

Still some feedback would be useful...

Sponsored Links
It would if the original fitting used a two-way switch so the lights could be turned on/off at the lamp or at the door ...
I suppose nothing's impossible, but I can't say I can recall having ever seen a light fitting with a built-in 2-way switch, and nor can I completely follow what you go on to propose as a possibility; I'll have to read it a few more times and scribble some diagrams.

Whatever, all this speculation is not very fruitful. We really need some more input from the OP - which hopefully we may get (and,if we don't, then the whole thing becomes moot!).

Kind Regards, John

At least no-one has jumped in to 'frighten him off', which is quite often the problem with non-returning OPs :)
You said it. ... It's interesting how often questions which get most analysis are the ones where the OP seems least interested.
'Analysis', most often arises after an OP's question has been answered. Speculative discussion, as in this thread, is a fairly inevitable consequence of an OP not returning for a while (if ever) after posting a question with incomplete information.

Kind Regards, John

Random thought, the OP didn't replace an elv light with an external transformer with a lv light ?
I did wonder.

But then I thought - nah - surely no way would you get any visible light whatsoever out of a 230V lamp if you gave it 12V.

Removing one of the lamps would tell us whether the lamps are in series or not.

I suspect a high impedance earth swapped with a neutral. Any chance we can find out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back