Wiring 4 off Low Voltage Downlighter Transformers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to wire in 4 off LV Downlighter transformers in my kitchen (these are 240V powered,giving out 12V ...and each one powers 2 off 20W halogen bulbs)

Am I correct in believing that one possible way to do this would be to take a spur from the Electrics Ring Main (not lighting ring) and hook up an FCU ... and then wire my four transformers in parallel to the FCU - with light switch in between, on the positive rail?

Also, if the above is correct, what rating FCU should I use (is 5A or 3A correct, if wiring 4 off transformers in parallel?)

Your input on this point really would be appreciated - Many thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
is there any physical reason you can not connect them to the existing lighting circuit?

it would be easier, no fcu required. and the next person wouldntturn the light mcb off thinking they will be dead (but you should always check something is dead before you work on it )

but if you MUST use an fcu, you could use a switched one, and a 5A fuse

Fair points - thank you for your response.

So if I wired into the lighting ring, would I simply need to take a spur from this - and then wire the transformers in parallel to this spur (or maybe I am simply not seeing the wood for the tree's here - feel free to point out of this is the case!)

Cheers

Firstly, as this is in your kitchen I presume you will be using a time machine to install stuff before Jan :D

Keep the lights on the lighting circuit, but I would wire a seperate tranny at each light this gives the option of 20, 35 or 50 watt lamps. Just incase the missus wants it brighter.

Sponsored Links
what spur? have a look in for refernce to see how its done.

i also take it you are removing an existing kitcjhen light? if so change the rose to a jb and note my signature ( and mark the cables)

Cheers Breezer .... im with you now - your reference section clarified matters .... nice one!

Thanks BaldElectrician - fair point concerning the potential need for higher wattage - I will take that into consideration

Just need that time machine now - hehe :)

SteveJackson said:
Just need that time machine now - hehe :)

I think TT has a time travelling van :LOL: , maybe you should ask for a lift

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back