Wiring a 2 gang 2 way / 1 gang 2 way circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing some old switches on the hall/landing. 1 gang 2 way upstairs, 2 gang 2 way downstairs. I'm having trouble even after I've followed the diagrams on the how to section. The house is from the 70's so I presume all the wiring colours are old too.

Upstairs switch has 3 wires (Earth, red, black with red sleeve) coming from above which I presume goes to the light, and 4 (Yellow, blue, red, earth) coming from below. I've wired it as follows, in common is red from below, L1 blue and red, L2 yellow and black with red sleeve.

Downstairs has 2 choc blocks (obviously has two switches) first one has red in common and black with red sleeve in L1, and second has red in common blue in L1 and yellow in L2.

Nothing happens with power and no doubt I've made a huge balls up, I've never done this kind of thing before and I'm struggling. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Neither upstairs or downstairs lights are working?

You have been unlucky.
Are lights in the rest of the house ok?

What was happening before you looked on the diagrams on this site?
Was it wired differently before?

Lights in rest of house are all ok, box not tripped. Lights were all working, changed the switch's over, then nothing. I'm all out of ideas...

Sponsored Links
I assume there werent any short link wires?

I think you better fit the old downstairs switch back on.

When you do compare and backs side by side
Look at the terminal markings and see if the terminals are in the same location and where you expect them to be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back