Wiring a 3 gang switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Does anyone know how to wire a 3 gang switch? I have a switch plate with 3 sets of L1, L2 and L3 but no common. I have 3 red wires and one black wire with a red sleeve and one earth wire and 2 separate pieces of red wire that were used as bridges in the old switch plate (I assume connecting all the commons up). Two of the red wires have red sleeves on also. Help!! We have already blown a mini circuit breaker but I think this was due to faulty wiring of a ceiling light - which I'll post as a new topic!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Wire like a normal 2 way switch at the top and bottom, namely live and switched live to the strappers L1/L2, and commons going from top to bottom.
The intermediate switch crosses or uncrosses the two strappers (changingf the role of L2 and L1 for the second 2 way switch) mid way between top and bottom.

A black board sketch shows that whatever the switch settings, changing any one reverses the state of the lamp.

so, 2 2way switches, L1/L2/ common
one mid-position switch. L1-L1 L2-L2, or L1-L2, L2-L1

M

You say you have no 'common' but in fact you have! If you have L1 L2 & L3 on your switches, then one of these will be common. I would think L1. You can easily check with a meter L1 to L2 and L1 to L3.
Although these are two way switches I take it they are being used in a one way mode. One live will go to 'com' (L1) on one switch and as you say the short wires will link from 'com' to 'com' to 'com' so all switches have live input. The output will be from L2 in each switch or L3, it does not matter.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back