2 gang light switch...please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2 gang switch in my kitchen. One switch is a dimmer for spot lights, the other is for flourescent lights.

I removed the cover plate and must have unconnected some of the wires in doing so. I am now unsure which ones need to go where to make it all work again.

Both switches have an L1 an L2 and a 8 (?) connection point.

I have 1 x green/yellow wire that is still connected to earth on the casing.

I have 4 x red wires (2 with red sleeves, 2 without) and a short bridging wire.

One red wire (with sleeve) is connected to 8 of a switch; one other red wire (without sleeve) is connected to L2 of same switch; and one end of bridging wire is connected to the same L2.

I therefore have 1 other red wire with sleeve, one other red wire without sleeve, and the other end of bridging wire to put somewhere.

Any help much appreciated !! Thank you.

Sponsored Links
The cable with sleeving means the cable goes to the lights. Cables without sleeving means the cable is live (comes from distribution board) Remember a switch breaks the live feed. Other words, without a switch the lights will always be on. So:

Put one of the sleeved cables in L1

Put the second sleeved cable in the second L1

Put one of the unsleeved cable in your 8

Put the second unsleeved cable in the second 8

Put the short bridging between the first and second 8.

L2 connection points are not used!

This will now work. You called the connected point 8 but its infact called 'C' that means common (cable is live, that comes from board)

Let me know how you get on!

Sponsored Links
Thanks Andy2k7, I followed your instructions and my kitchen is a bright place again!

One question, the spot lights flicker a bit when dimmer is turned fully on. This was the reason for my taking the thing apart in the first place and is not a problem as I simply won't turn fully on....out of curiosity though, any ideas, do I need a new switch at some point?

Thanks again!

It is usual to de-rate many dimmers for use with halogen lamps because of the high current they draw when starting up, so a 250 watt dimmer will usually be happy with about a 125 watt load, or a 400 watt dimmer with a 200 watt load.
There are some dimmers available that do not need de-rating.

12 volt halogen lighting requires both a dimmer designed to work with transformers, and transformers designed to work with a dimmer to work correctly.

The life expectancy of halogen lamps is reduced if they are dimmed , as the halogen cycle doesn't work unless the light is running at it's full intensity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back