Can someone please help with wiring a switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read multiple Q&A on this topic but nothing seem to help.

In my kitchen I have two separate light fittings which used to operate from a double dimmer switch.

The metal switch housing box fitted in the wall has 4 wires (1 with yellow/green stripes, 1 x black; 1 x red in a grey sleeve; 1 x just red;). The red wire (without the grey sleeve) use to be split in two i.e. one end of it was connected, then it was bent and connected again.

Last week one of the lights stopped working. Changing light bulbs did not help. I though it must be the switch.

I bough a new one. As I was taking the wires out to connect the new switch, the red wire which was bent in half and connected to two different point snapped.

Now I bough a different switch. Single dimmer - two way (so on the back I ave C, L1 and L2)

I have tried to connect black wire in C; red in grey sleeve in L1; and red in L2 but only one light worked.

Then I connected just two wires. Black in C, and red wire in L2. Only one light worked. (same one)

Then I Connected just two wires again. Black in C and red wire in grey sleeve in L2. Nothing worked.

Thus, I am not sure what this red wire in grey sleeve is???

I am obviously doing this wrong.

Can someone please advise me if they know how to solve this problem.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
The metal switch housing box fitted in the wall has 4 wires (1 with yellow/green stripes, 1 x black; 1 x red in a grey sleeve; 1 x just red;).
In order, these will almost certainly be

Earth (should be connected to the switch faceplate if it's metal).

Switched live to one light.

Switched live to the other light.

Permanent live.

Last week one of the lights stopped working. Changing light bulbs did not help. I though it must be the switch.
What voltage are they?

Now I bough a different switch. Single dimmer - two way (so on the back I ave C, L1 and L2)
Connect the unsleeved red to C, the other 2 to L1 or L2.

Thus, I am not sure what this red wire in grey sleeve is???

I am obviously doing this wrong.

You say you have changed from a double dimmer to a single dimmer (2 way) - you do realise that these are not the same.
Do you want you single dimmer to operate both lights?
Personally I would not 'practice' using a dimmer because you will very quickly destroy it.
Better to practice on a cheaper rocker switch.
Under normal operation when you have a two gang (double dimmer) switch you will have the live (normally red) coming into the switch and terminated at the Common Terminal. A small piece of cable similar colour or brown is then fed from this common terminal to the second common terminal.
You now have power into both light dimmers.
The power out or switched live goes into the L1 on both dimmers - it could be the red/grey goes into the L1 on the first switch and the black goes into the L1 on the other switch. The earth must be terminated at the backbox unless your dimmer is metal in which it must be terminated at the backbox and a fly lead earth must run from the switch to the backbox.

Thank you very much for your post.

(Quote:
Last week one of the lights stopped working. Changing light bulbs did not help. I though it must be the switch.) What voltage are they?

Each one was 40-240W (double dimmer)

I think it got overloaded. There are three light bulbs in each light. All bulbs were 30watts. A couple of weeks ago one of them died and I only had a 50watts bulb at hand so I put it in, but later that evening the whole light blew.

i will try again tomorrow to connect it as per your post. Thank you again.
[/b]

Sponsored Links
Have you got a replacment single dimmer or a double dimmer???

Have you got a replacment single dimmer or a double dimmer???

I now have a single dimmer but 2way i.e on the back there are C, L1 and L2.

[/i]Do you want you single dimmer to operate both lights?

I though i did not have a choice as the red wire snapped thus leaving me one wire short. therefore i though single dimmer was the only option.

I though i did not have a choice as the red wire snapped thus leaving me one wire short. therefore i though single dimmer was the only option.

[/i]
No if you wire it as I describe above you can have a double dimmer - but you will need a small piece of 1mm2 cable to make the link between the two commons (C).

If you want to wire the single dimmer to control both lights together then you will need to check the dimmer wattage range is sufficient for the lights you are powering. Then assuming normal wiring the red conductor goes in C and both the black and red/grey go in L1. L2 is not used.

Dimmer wattage is 400 W which should be sufficient for both lights, i think?
Yes that should cover it - lower range is normally 40/50w.

By the way your red cable did not break. This is a link between the two commons and is a separate piece of wire.

And i now see what you mean about the red wire which snapped in half.

Although, all double dimmer switches which i've seen in BandQ were 250W+250W, which is exactly what i had before, and it stopped working.

i don't mind if both lights work from the same switch 400W,as long as they work ;)

I dont suppose the lamps are 12v halogen are they? If you upped from 35W to 50W its possible that the transformer isnt suitable for the higher wattage.

Hello again.

I have reconnected the wires today.

Red in C; Black and Red with Grey sleeve together in L1 , but only one light still works, same one as yesterday.

I do not understand it...

the other light obliviously is in working order since it is not the one that stopped working originally. It is only since i replaced the switch it stopped working.

So why can't i get it to work now?

Hello again.
I have reconnected the wires today.
Red in C; Black and Red with Grey sleeve together in L1 , but only one light still works, same one as yesterday.
I do not understand it...
the other light obliviously is in working order since it is not the one that stopped working originally. It is only since i replaced the switch it stopped working.
So why can't i get it to work now?

Okay so the next thing you need to do is to check with wiring at the light unit that is not working. Make sure the power is off and tested before you touch it though. Then check and make sure the terminals are secure.

What type of lights do you have. As 1John stated are any of the lights also controlled by a transformer -especially the halogen. Are the lamps like this one which is controlled by a transformer

http://www.screwfix.com/p/sylvania-mr16-coolfit-superia-low-voltage-halogen-lamp-50w-pack-of-5/35547
or these which are mains powered.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/sylvania-...ains-voltage-halogen-lamp-50w-pack-of-5/81816

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back