Dimmer Switch Wiring Help, Urgent Please! :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought two, two way dimmer switches, one with one switch, one with two

(after some research I've found you can't have two dimmer switches that control the same light so ignore the fact that they are dimmer switches it's really with the wiring i need help with)

below are images of the wiring in the light switches

* single switch, 2 red wires from 2 separate grey sleeves, yellow wire, blue wire and red wire coming from separate grey sleeve

View media item 39904
* double switch, 3 red wires from a seperate grey sleeve, yellow wire, blue wire, red wire from a seperate grey sleeve
* also note the little bit of red wire in my hand

View media item 39901

First off I wired up the single switch, worked fine, thought I was on to a winner. Wired up the double switch which worked, this resulted in the single switch not working. I decided to install the original single switch exactly the way that it was wired and now that doesn't work and neither does the double. So basically I now have two light switches which don't work.

*I made a note of all the wiring before I removed the switches and have put the cables back where they belong, I just don't understand why I have so many red wires when every diagram I have seen only ever shows one. Before I removed the old single switch the wiring went like this,

L1=Blue, L2=Yellow+2 Reds C=Red

the double switch went something like this (haven't got my notes)

L1=Blue+Red, L2=Yellow, C=Red L1=Red, L2=(nothing) C=Red

and then the little bit of red wire went from both C's

Any help would be most appreciated, I just can't get my head round it and obviously no diagrams help as they never show so many red wires

Sponsored Links
Are you absolutely sure of the following:

1) You did make a perfect note of exactly which red went where

2) Your new 2-gang switch either has its terminals grouped in the same way as the original (some are arranged in 2 triangles, some in 2 rows), OR if they are different that you have accounted for that when connecting the various conductors to each terminal

?

You've probably got so many reds because your switch drop cables are twin red, not red & black, but as long as you never get any of them mixed up it will continue to work as it did before.

Have you got a multimeter?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back