Wiring a new Spot Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Can anyone help? I have just purchased a new set of halogen spot lamps. My current ceiling rose has terminals for Live, Neutral, Earth and switch but the new fitting only has a connection block for Live, Neutral and Earth. Can anyone help with how I wire the switch wires as there is no terminal in the new fitting for the switch wires.

Tks for any help to this new user and electrical incompetent!

Sponsored Links
you should connect your new light between neutral and the switch wire. Put the others as they are into connector blocks(choc bloc)

If your ceiling rose is of a modern standard in addition to the earth connection there will be three terminal blocks.SWITCH/LIVE/NEUT.The LIVE middle block caters for the wall switch and the returning wire(known as switched live)goes to the SWITCH block with 2 terminals (the others having 3 each)
Your existing lampholder should have a live (brown) to the SWITCH block and the blue to the NEUT block at the opposite end.
If you remove these and replace them with your new live and neut not forgetting the earth of course, your new lamp should function under the control of the wall switch
Also ensure your earth wire is sleeved (green/yellow sleeving from B&Q,
Wickes )Wickes leaflet 38 is worth reading

Tks breezer and MANDATE. A great quick response.

What I really want to do is take the old ceing rose off so that I can replace it with the new light fitting. The new fitting wont fit over the existing rose. But if I remove the ceiling rose I remove the ability to connect the switch wires to the new fitting. Any idea of a way around this other than leaving the existing rose in place and mounting the spot lights next to the rose?

Sponsored Links
As I said, use connector block connecting the wires as they current ly are, but connecting where your current light is to your new light.
or you could use one of theseand poke it up in the ceiling although chock bloc would not need such a big hole

There are two methods of wiring ceiling roses.
The loop in method uses the ceiling rose as a junction box and there is the junction box method.
In fact both methods are the same but with the junction box you need lift the floor board and fit a 4 terminal junction box.the terminals will cater for
SWITCH/LIVE/NEUT as in the ceiling rose and EARTH.
The difference is that only two wires(plus the earth) pass through the ceiling to the rose so in your case you can remove the existing rose if you are prepared to change to the junction box method for that particular lamp
Otherwise its connector blocks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back