wiring a replacement 2 gang 1 way light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to replace a 2 gang 1 way light switch. On removing the old switch, I noticed there are 5 cables entering the switch(old colour coding).All the earth and black coloured cables are connected in a block as it is not a metal back. Of the 5 red cables, 1 has a short extension. Can anyone tell me how the red wires are connected to the switch? :(

Sponsored Links
I doubt it...

have you disconnected the wires from the old switch yet? I hope not.

You need to mark each wire and note which terminal its connected to before you disconnect them, then move the wiring across to the corresponding terminals on the new switch.

Don't forget, if your new switch is metal then it'll need to be earthed!

Yes I have disconnected the wires and marked the wires but when reconnect them, it didn't work. I have only change 1 of the wire as I am only using it as a 1 way switch therefore I move 1 of the wire to the L1 instead of L2. Forgot to mention I replaced the same switch a couple of years ago.

Sponsored Links
I have already solve the problem, the connection was different from the initial setup don't know why. Thank you all for replying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back