Wiring a room thermostat downstream of a CH controller

That doesn't seem to happen very often but if it does then it is cold. ... Conversely - you are saying that you like it colder in the Summer than Winter.
Not that I 'like it colder' - but, as I said, I think that most of us probably expect/accept/tolerate short-term downward excursions in temperature during Summer which are colder than the temperature we would expect to maintain during Winter.
My place isn't as large as yours.
That's probably a red herring. My house is quite large, but the bits of it that I usually (can afford to!) heat routinely to reasonable temperatures are very probably no larger than yours. The rest usually gets minimal heating!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Having is come on in summer is just a waste of gas and is likely to result in the house being too hot.

Sponsored Links
Having is come on in summer is just a waste of gas and is likely to result in the house being too hot.
But it only comes on when the weather is colder than you require the house to be in the Winter.
The conclusion is that you have the house too hot in the Winter.

That aside, let us say during the Winter evenings you like the living room at 18° and set the heating for that.
In the Summer there is a cool spell when the temperature is only 14°, this apparently is acceptable as you have switched off the heating because it would make the house too hot - or
as you previously said you manually turn it on when it would have come on automatically.

That aside, let us say during the Winter evenings you like the living room at 18° and set the heating for that.
In the Summer there is a cool spell when the temperature is only 14°, this apparently is acceptable as you have switched off the heating because it would make the house too hot - or as you previously said you manually turn it on when it would have come on automatically.
I think the issue probably is that, whilst what you are saying is totally logical, it's actually down to psychology, which can be far from logical! In Winter, we usually have our thermostat set around 20°, so presumably 'like' that to be our ambient temperature. However, I'm sure that the temperature has fallen a good few degrees below that during some of the evenings during this year's 'Summer', yet we usually didn't feel the need for the heating to come on (automatically or manually) - I suppose (admittedly illogically) "because it was Summer", as far as our psychology was concerned!

Furthermore, on the few occasions that we did feel the need for heat during Summer evenings we often put on a fan heater, in the room we were in, for just a short period - which may well be more cost-effective than heating a whole zone of the house with CH (particularly when, like mine, one's CH uses LPG).

Kind Regards, John

That's true but, in my case, I do try (but often forget!) to 'exercise' the system a few times during the summer months.
Finding, come autumn, that you have no heating until you replace the pump(s) etc works as a great incentive to remember the following year. You could fire it up each time you test your RCDs :mrgreen:

I think the issue probably is that, whilst what you are saying is totally logical, it's actually down to psychology, which can be far from logical!
Indeed.

How many people run their car interior colder in the summer than they would tolerate in the winter, even though they're usually wearing lighter clothing then? Solar gain through the windows is a factor, but it's not the only reason.

That's true but, in my case, I do try (but often forget!) to 'exercise' the system a few times during the summer months.
Finding, come autumn, that you have no heating until you replace the pump(s) etc works as a great incentive to remember the following year.
Indeed - and that has worked for me in the past. However, memories can be fairly short, and it really only works well (at least for me) for "the following year" - beyond that one tends to slip back into 'forgetting mode' (until,of course .... :) ) ! Having said that, pumps don't always have to be replaced - a hammer often solves the problem :)

Kind Regards, John

I think the issue probably is that, whilst what you are saying is totally logical, it's actually down to psychology, which can be far from logical!
Indeed. ... How many people run their car interior colder in the summer than they would tolerate in the winter, even though they're usually wearing lighter clothing then? Solar gain through the windows is a factor, but it's not the only reason.
Exactly.

Kind Regards, John

Does Mrs W2 make you responsible for doing things which she needs to remind you about, e.g. "You won't forget that it's {....'s} birthday next week, so you need to get a card/flowers/whatever"?

Does Mrs W2 make you responsible for doing things which she needs to remind you about, e.g. "You won't forget that it's {....'s} birthday next week, so you need to get a card/flowers/whatever"?
She does if its her birthday she's talking about :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back