Wiring a shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just moved in to my new house and I have 2 sheds right next to one another. both sheds are 15 metres away and have double sockets in both of them, one shed running a tumble dryer (3kw)and the other one used for hand tools. I found that the supply cable was 2.5mm pvc on a 16amp breaker on the rcd side of my cu......so naturally I am replacing the main cable with 4mm swa. Im planning to terminate my swa on the non rcd side of my cu with a 32a breaker and have a small rcd 63 /30mA cu with 2 cb slots in the shed with two 16a breakers each feeding both sheds / sockets via 2.5 mm swa.....
My questions is would i just be aswell feeding from the rcd side of my cu and foregoing the shed rcd (as i dont want 2rcd's in line / discrimination et all)
I know about problems with taking house earth outside and am considering a spike............

all comments gratefully recieved

P.s......I did my electrical apprenticeship about 15 years ago and have been driving trains for the last 12, (so a little rusty)so I will be getting my mate who is part b registered (used to be my apprentice) to go over my work when he gets back from florida. I just want to make a start......thanks

Sponsored Links
My questions is would i just be aswell feeding from the rcd side of my cu and foregoing the shed rcd (as i dont want 2rcd's in line / discrimination et all)
I always think not - if the RCD trips you lose the lights in the shed, which might be unfortunate if you're holding a thing with sharp stabby whirling bits, and probably be inconvenient to trek back to the house to reset. Or if you're in the house and something damp & leaky in the shed trips the RCD you have to go out there to sort it out.

The SWA itself doesn't need RCD protection, so stick to your original plan.

I know about problems with taking house earth outside and am considering a spike............
Have you got a PME supply and extraneous-conductive-parts in the sheds?

P.s......I did my electrical apprenticeship about 15 years ago and have been driving trains for the last 12, (so a little rusty)
Acca! - I thought you lived in Cornwall..

so I will be getting my mate who is part b registered (used to be my apprentice) to go over my work when he gets back from florida. I just want to make a start......thanks
No Part P where you are...

Sponsored Links
I know theres no part b but We have a very similar scheme up here in scotland and just said "part p" for simplicity..........sorry for confusion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back