Wiring a Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am sure that this is yet another absolute rookie question so apologies in advance for that:D

Some wall lights in my flat are controlled by two individual two-way switches, each of which is one gang. I wanted to terminate one of the switches as it is never used, so I removed the switch, put the red, blue and yellow wires into a chock block and the earth (yellow and green wire) into the earth terminal in the back box (see first pic below) and then covered it with a blank plate.

Then I tried to turn on the lights using the second switch, but they didn’t come back on. Not really sure what to do now(n). Any advice? If there isn’t an easy solution then I am happy to remove the blank plate and put a new switch, but could you please tell me exactly where I need to insert the red, blue and yellow wires on the switch (see second pic).

I tried YouTube but I don't think I am searching for the right thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated(y)

Thanks a million
Ducky

View media item 106984
View media item 106985

Sponsored Links
Show us a pic of the wiring at the other switch. The three conductors that you have disconnected in switch pictured,will need disconnecting at the retained switch ,and the remaining conductors there will need altering to different terminals most probably to com and L1

Last edited:
If you are happy with a blank plate in place of the unwanted switch then this will enable the light to be controlled by the other switch.
two way reduced to one way.jpg

Join two wires in a terminal block and isolate the third in another terminal block. Trial and error can determine which wire has to be isolated.

Thanks Terry, see images below. If it's easier, should I just replace the blank plate with a new switch and replicate the wire arrangement as per the pics below? That would be yellow in com, red in L1 and blue in L2? Or would it be easier to do something in the wiring in the active switch (the one in the pics below)?

View media item 106987
View media item 106986

Sponsored Links
Upto you,but if you decide to have a blanking plate ...
Remove the three conductors from the switch. Leaves 2 red wires.one goes into COM ,the other stays in L1.
The three removed can go together in an insulated terminal block. Leave the earth conductor where it is.

Thanks Terry but that sounds like Greek to me :((n)

Which wires are the conductors?

Sorry,they are all conductors !
The red,yellow,and blue that all come from the same grey outer sheath have to be removed out of the switch terminals. This leaves two remaining reds ,one goes into Com terminal the other stays where it is.
Is that clear ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back