Wiring a trip on the board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wiring a 50A circuit breaker into the last slot in my CU. The 50A breaker comes with it's own 30ma RCD module attached. Do I have to wire the breaker nearer the supply end of the CU(as has been suggested to me.) The last slot is at the opposite end to the supply and would mean me shuffling all the other breakers along !

thanks guys for any info returned

actvj

Sponsored Links
actvj said:
I'm wiring a 50A circuit breaker into the last slot in my CU. The 50A breaker comes with it's own 30ma RCD module attached. Do I have to wire the breaker nearer the supply end of the CU(as has been suggested to me.)
Yes.

The last slot is at the opposite end to the supply and would mean me shuffling all the other breakers along !
Yes.

There might be a Plan B - is there in isolation switch built into the meter, or between the meter and the CU?

yes there is an isolator between the meter and the CU. Then the CU has an main on/off switch.

What's the reason for it being nearer the supply end?

actvj said:
yes there is an isolator between the meter and the CU. Then the CU has an main on/off switch.
Plan B, then, would be to split the tails and install the new MCB in its own separate enclosure.

To mimimise the length of busbar through which heavy currents will flow, to reduce heating and voltage-drop.

Sponsored Links
actvj said:

add a mini CU, but you need an isolator before the CU to split the tails, unless you want to do it live (not recommended)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back