Wiring an outside light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an outside light which is connected to 2 T&E flat gey cables, one coming from the consumer unit, the other from a dedicated switch. The two red wires are connected via a connector block at the fitting, so the live supply is switched and the light is not permanently live. However at one point the cables are out of sight, and when they arrive at the fitting I'm not sure which of the black wires is the switched live. What happens if they are connected to the blue and brown wires on the fitting the wrong way round? Is it dangerous? Will the light simply not work?

Sponsored Links
Depends on the type of light.
Do you have any safe means of testing for voltage or continuity, such as a multimeter. Normally the second black cable for the switch live would be marked or sleeved red to identify it.

What happens if they are connected to the blue and brown wires on the fitting the wrong way round? Is it dangerous? Will the light simply not work?
As PrenticeBoyofDerry states, it will depend on the light bulb itself.
Generally speaking if the light bulb is a screw in type then the centre pin is the live terminal and the screw casing is the neutral.
For bayonet type most times it doesn't matter.
However, as you have described the light fittings as having brown and blue conductors, then clearly the manufacturers are indicating live to brown and neutral to blue - this should also be included in the manufacture's instructions and should be marked L and N on the terminal strip or lamp itself.
Each manufacturer is different but where there are no instructions to the contrary and both the wires are white it suggests that live and neutral can be connected either way around.

If you get it the wrong way round you will connect the switched live to neutral and cause a short circuit. BIG BANG and a blown fuse/circuit breaker. fit a tb on to the cores and use a multi meter to test as PBD says.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for your help.

Reason I asked is that we have just moved into a new house, there have been a couple of dodgy electrics that I had to sort out, and I have been checking things as far as I can. In this case the light fitting (brown and blue live and neutral terminals, screw in bulb) was already in situ and working. No bang, RCD on consumer unit not tripped. Does that mean it must be okay>

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back