Wiring and lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there guys, hope anybody can help me to sort this out

Today I tried to replace an old fluorescent light in the kitchen for a ligthing track with three spotlights that I bought in IKEA.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80031677/?query=KRÄMARE+Lighting+track+with+3+spotlights

The thing is when I dismounted the old fluorescent set, I didn't have a look at how the wires were connected and, on top of that, once it was removed instead of one cable (the thing I expected), it turns out that there are FOUR cables coming out of the ceiling with the following wires.

Cable 1 has 3 wires, one red one bare copper and one red

Cable 2 has 2 wires, one red and one black

Cable 3 has 3 wires, one red, one black and one earth (yellow green striped)

Cable 4 has 3 wires, one red one blue and one earth (yellow green striped)

As far as I can recall a lot of the red ones were together, this coming because when i disconnected the old fluorescent thing and took the red ones and separated them, i didn't have any electricity, nor in lighting neither in appliances. After that, I put all the reds together and left all the others unconnected and I now have electricity but lights don't work in any room of the house.

I was looking for information in the internet but nothing quite answered this query.

To add a little more thrill to the situation the wires in the ligthing track with three spotlights that i want to install are brown and blue, so which ones correspond to brown? black ones or red ones, and which one to blue??

In some websites I read that one of the red ones (not sure which or how to find which one) has to be left alone and capped, earths all together, remaining red together and the remaining black ones and blue also together

In another website they were saying something about a switch and that one red one had to be put together with the black ones. I have the feeling that is not the case for my situation.

So, as they say, I am now in the dark and would realy appreciate some word of advice to sort out this mess of wires.

Thanks in advance

An DIYer in distress

Sponsored Links
Reading your post it sounds as if you have no idea about wiring so I'd suggest you get a sparky in to sort it for you. May be a bit more cost but at least you won't electrocute yourself or your family.

Look at the top of the DIYNOT/ELECTRICS topic list and find the STICKY on lighting circuits. It's all explained there.

Sponsored Links
Quite a worrying post when you read it as it sounds as if you took the fitting down with the electric on, and now have live cables sticking out of the ceiling after turning trips back on.....

Your description of cables also sounds non-standard.

Photos would help, but a phone call to a local sparky may be the best.

I'm not sure how much we can (should?) rely on what he said, TBH - it's all very muddled.

Reading your post it sounds as if you have no idea about wiring so I'd suggest you get a sparky in to sort it for you. May be a bit more cost but at least you won't electrocute yourself or your family.
. . . . . . . . . .
whathesaidsmiley.gif

So you separated all the cables at a light fitting and all the sockets stopped working? :eek:

Get an electrician - now.

Guys, thanks for the help. it is clear that this is absolutely out of my reach, i am calling an electrician tomorrow to let somebody with skills do the job.

I am assuming it went something like this.....

Take fitting down, RCD trips, power to sockets and lights gone, trip turned back on, sockets now work, mannnny lights no longer do. Live lighting cables now sticking out of ceiling!

A sparky would be the best bet :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back