Lighting Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having problems with wiring in new lights. One switch operates two lights. I have wired the lights in, one stays permantly on whilst the other switches on and off alright. I have wired the 1st up 3 earth cables together, 2 black together to blue cables on light, 3 red together, and black cable with red sleeve to brown cables on light. This is the one that works fine
The second light just has 3 cables, black red and earth. I have not altered the light switch wiring

Sponsored Links
How is the second light, that stays on all the time, connected?

see for reference. oull find it needs a switch.

also, brown goes to RED, blue goes to BLACK

Sponsored Links
Hi Brian! Your ceiling rose is also a junction box, The 'live' to the switch goes from the middle block of terminals but returns to the end block then down to lamp and up to neutral block. If you want another lamp from the same switch you need a red 'live' from the end block leading to your next light and a returning block to the neutral block.
I assume you have taken the red 'live' from the middle block which is before the switch and always live, so moving it to the end block (after the switch) will solve it.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

have you got an electrical tester ? if so switch off mains disconnect the second light and connect the black and red wires together, and test in the first light on these wires seperately and when you find the red wire that goes to your second light wire that up with the black wire with red sleeve to the blue wire of your light fitting.

one of the 3 reds in the first light needs to go with the black with red sleeving and the brown from the light..

it's a simple matter of elimination..

turn the power off and take one red and stick it with the black with red sleeving, then turn the power back on and see if the second light switches off.. if not, turn the power off and put it back with the other reds, take a different red and repeat.. and again for the third red if the second doesn't do it..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back