lighting circuit

aw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced a light fitment but the new light is incredibly dim.

The wiring to the previous light was 2 cables in with the normal red black and earth. The reds were joined together. The earths were joined together. One black of one cable was connected to the live of the fitting and one black of the other cable to the neutral of the fitting.

The new fitting has 2 bulbs within it, each with a live (brown) and neutral (blue). There is one earth fitting.

From the rudimentary instructions i have kept the 2 original reds together and I have connected the single fitting earth wire to the 2 cable earth wires. I have connected BOTH brown wires to one of the black cable wires and BOTH of the blue wires to the other black cable. Is this correct? Or somehow should the circuit come in from one black wire, go to one bulb, then onto the other bulb and then out to the other black wire? Can anyone help please?

Sponsored Links
Sorry i am a bit thick - what is a sticky?

The posts at the top of the forum. It sticks at the top

Sponsored Links
I have looked at the drawings. Still not wholly clear so do I connect one incoming black to one of the wires of the bulb light. Then the other wire of that bulb light to one of the wires of the other bulb light. Then the second wire of the 2nd bulb light to the other black of the outgoing cable?

i am sorry to say :cry: , but i would suggest you call an electrician. you can not understand a drawing, you may have done something else wrong too.

life is not worth the risk

From the first post, sounds as though it wired fine.

Any other lights in the house come on dimmly when the new one does??? - CHECK.

Any other lights in the house cause the new one to come on dimly??? - CHECK.

What wattage lamps are they, and what type of fitting??

Lectrician - answers
no other lights dim
no other lights seem to affect it
each bulb is 40 watts SES candle

Could I just need to re connect? But surely if the lights are on then the electrical connection is made?

i am flummoxed - hope you can help.

buy his own admission
aw said:
Sorry i am a bit thick

i would also say he has not get a multi meter to test it, if he had, that would have been done by now

what fitting did you have before?? What wattage was it?? How dim is dim??

lectrician

what fitting did you have before?? bayonet
What wattage was it?? 60w
How dim is dim?? like a lighted match!

Ok, we need some photos of the wiring I think. Difficult to diagnose the problem.

Doesnt seem to be a series fault.

Not confused earth with neutral?? (would only affect a TT system with an ineffective rcd).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back