Ceiling light wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having problems wiring a new ceiling light. The new ceiling light only has 2 connections.'L' and 'N'.I have 2 cables coming from the ceiling.Each cable has Red, Black and earth .The 2 reds are joined together and the blacks are separate.I have tried wiring the reds to the live in the light fitting and have tried each black separately and also both blacks together to the 'N'. Help appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
Connect the one black that has a red sleeve on it to L and the other to N on your light fitting. (one black is neutral and the other is a switched live) Make sure the earths are connected together using a connector block.

I am having problems wiring a new ceiling light. The new ceiling light only has 2 connections.'L' and 'N'.I have 2 cables coming from the ceiling.Each cable has Red, Black and earth .The 2 reds are joined together and the blacks are separate.I have tried wiring the reds to the live in the light fitting and have tried each black separately and also both blacks together to the 'N'. Help appreciated :)
And that didn't work.
I assume your two reds are in a connector block - One of these is your live loop - the other red is your live to the switch.
Of the two blacks one will be your neutral and the other will be your returning switch live.
Earths should also be in a connector block.
Do either of the black have any red tape on them.
If so then you need to put the black with the red tape into the lamps live (L) terminal and the other black (neutral) into the lights N terminal.
If neither of the black cables are marked then you will need to get a multi-meter to determine which one is the returning switch live.

Look here:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:lighting_circuit_layouts

Sponsored Links
Ok.Tried putting 1 of the black with the 2 red'L' and the other black in the 'N'.light came on but did not go off from the switch.Tried swapping the blacks around, but that just blew the fuse in the fuse box :(

The two reds.
They must be connected together, but not connected to ANYTHING ELSE. (Like it was before)

The black with the red sleeve goes to live on your light
The black with no sleeve ghoes to neutral on the light

The two earths connect to the earth terminal on the light if there is one.
\

But that is what riveralt said above.

Try again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back