Wiring auto dialler into VOIP adapter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an alarm auto dialler that is wired directly into a UK BT phone socket. I'm planning to ditch the landline and get a VOIP service and use something like a Grandstream HT-802 VoIP Adapter, which has 2 phone inputs. I want to remove the auto dialler wiring from the wall socket and fix a normal plug, so I can plug it into the adapter. I may also need to extend the cable.

Is this the best way to do this and is it something I should be able to manage. Will it actually work? ? Is there a better way to do it? I have wired in CCTV etc. and created my own ethernet cables etc.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
its been a very long time since I did one, you can get adapters online so save you making one up.

believe the phone cord was yellow and black to the outer edges if making one with a connector on, but would have to check.

had a voip on vonage (years ago) and virgin media, vonage router connected to virgin router, phone connected to the vonage router.

seem to recall the two sockets in the vonage router was for different numbers so had to share the dialler with the land line phone. Thats over 10 years ago and slept since then. but yes it should work.

Thanks. I've been reading a bit more and it appears I could run a line from the adapter to the socket and replace the connection to outside with this. This would mean the socket would work as normal but would now run through the VIOP adapter. I will open the socket up and have a look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back