Wiring/cable colours - standard throughout Europe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I recently had the left-hand rear lamp unit stolen from a bike carrier and am trying to wire up the replacement unit. I am slightly confused by the colours of the cables. I cannot obtain any instructions so am trying to follow the wiring in the right hand unit. The problem is that the wires are different colours!

In the right hand unit I have white, grey, brown, green and pink cables. In the left hand unit I have black, white, pink, blue and yellow cables.

Can anyone help me identify them? The unit in question in made by AJBA ( I think they are a Dutch company) and there is a pic herehttp://www.rkl-shop.de/static/A208.html in case that helps!

Many thanks for any help/advice!

Sponsored Links
What I would do is first of all find out which wire is the ground by using a multimeter and testing resistance to the car batteries negative terminal with the ignition off.

Once you have found ground the other wires should be fairly easy to do by trail and error.

IIRC the two tail light feeds are fed from different connector pins for left and right, as are the indicators. The ground connection, of course, appears in both clusters, as do the brake lights, which, I believe are fed from a single connector pin.

Do the clusters incorporate fog lights and/or reversing lights too?

If you get the earth in the wrong place, the whole lot can light up like a christmas tree... It often stops the other light cluster and other lights on the car from working properly too.

I don't think there's a standard wiring colour code, but trailer connectors use a standard pin allocation, so this may help a bit:-
http://www.tridenttrailers.com/trailer-wiring-diagram.htm

Sponsored Links
The manufacturers of the bike carrier, if known, should be able to provide a wiring diagram.

But as been said if you can identify the earth wire then trial and error should work.

use a 12v lamp testor and switch each light on and off to loacte whats what.

Back