Wiring centre thermostat help! (Drayton Wiser)

AMW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I ended up with the Drayton Wiser 3 channel system, looking to remove both the existing downstairs thermostat and bedroom
thermostat and just have the Wiser ones in their place. Plan will be to have the main bedroom heating controlled by the Wiser Thermostat and then TRV's everywhere else (though still utilising the Wiser thermostat downstairs as well although not sure that's strictly necessary when using TRV's).

I’ve checked out the wiring centre upstairs, no diagram on it so I’m not sure where to start, hoping someone might look at it and it’ll be obvious!

Cylinder/valves:
5C7F5EA3-7337-46B1-9EA6-C499CF48F914.jpeg
Here’s the wiring centre:
E35025A7-9983-414F-BA4B-2C25650FD6E6.jpeg
Downstairs thermostat:
90BA071A-54D6-48B8-86AC-472CE1236AA9.jpeg
Bedroom thermostat:
5042A47F-29BD-4740-A6F8-09148B06A6CA.jpeg
Controller back plate (looks like only N/L 3+4 have anything connected which isn't what I expected for a 3 channel system, a quick test with the Wiser and the heating button fires up the boiler the hot water button does nothing, any ideas?):
558470D3-EE5D-43AA-8995-4F8483945180.jpeg

The wires on the right hand side of the wiring centre look mostly from the valves of which there are 3, 2 for heating zones and 1 for hot water presumably.

Is it obvious, or will I have to do some testing? And how do I do this without blowing myself up? :oops:

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The existing programmer which looks like it’s in the kitchen, is there a fused connection unit next to it?

Last edited:
The existing programmer which looks like it’s in the kitchen, is there a fused connection unit next to it? One of your comments was about a live and neutral connected which is incorrect, it’s live and switched live.
Yes there is, a fused switch which turns the controller and boiler on and off. It's next to the boiler in the utility room. Ok live and switched live, I was just reading the L/N off the back plate markings!

Yes there is, a fused switch which turns the controller and boiler on and off. It's next to the boiler in the utility room. Ok live and switched live, I was just reading the L/N off the back plate markings!
Apologies, I misread the comment, the backplate does have L and N, I thought you were referring to the room thermostat. Anyway what will need to happen is getting additional wiring to or from the programmer or join the L and and N to the fcu and site the Wiser near the wiring center.

Sponsored Links
Urgh, I was hoping this would be straightforward(ish) DIY job, seems like I'll have to get someone if it's going to be complicated :( Thanks for your help though

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Looking behind the programmer base plate again today, I just wanted to confirm a few things for myself.

Is this 3 wires going into one (for N + L) for the three valves or heating zones?
71D97730-90D9-47BB-90BC-C083A9A506E7.jpeg
Also what would be terminated in this Wago connector? Seems like it comes from a separate piece of wiring which could be the bedroom thermostat?
38796244-8085-48AD-BEB8-941871B737DF.jpeg

Just trying to confirm really that I’m not missing anything obvious! Though have to say the whole set up seems far from obvious so far!
Thanks for any help :)

Yes 3 Lives and 3 Neutrals going into a connector block then those going into the programmer. The Wago appears to be neutrals. You already have then the lives bundled together, so you could just remove the ones (L and N) to the programmer.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: AMW
Ok, sorry to be very basic but I’m only just learning about this stuff, is kinda interesting though!

So at the moment I’ve got heating and hot water working on the Drayton, the only thing I’m missing is the bedroom zone heating.

So if I’m reading your post correctly, is one of the brown wires that goes from 3 wires into 1 wire need to be removed and put into the 3rd channel of the Drayton for it to work or is it not the simple? Something tells me it should be but probably isn’t!

Thanks for all your help so far by the way :)

No it’s not that simple. What I’m trying to say is you need to trace terminals 3 and 4 from the programmer to the wiring center, then you can remove the L and N at the programmer because they appear to be going to the wiring center anyway and then the Wiser can be installed where the wiring center is located.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back