Drayton Wiser 2 channel question

AMW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
So I've just purchased a Drayton Wiser 2 channel system with a couple of TRV's, possibly a bit prematurely....but I'm not really sure about this stuff to be honest!

I have a thermostat in the downstairs hallway and one in the main bedroom which just controls that bedroom temperature. Also have a hot water cylinder heated by the boiler once a day in morning. Am I right in thinking I actually need a 3 channel Drayton hub to control the hot water / downstairs thermostat / main bedroom thermostat?

If I go with the 2 channel I presume I'll lose the bedroom heating control or just plain won't get any heating in that bedroom? Don't know if it makes a difference but there appears to be only 2 valves next to the cylinder, one seems to be for heating one for the hot water. Is there a way of bypassing the bedroom thermostat and using the 2 channel Drayton as I don't want or need seperate thermostat control in the bedroom anyway as I'm hoping to go fully TRV at some point.

Thanks for any help!
Andy

Sponsored Links
If you have linked TRV's then no real reason to also have zone valves, the zone valve and TRV do same job, but first question is how are you connecting the Wiser, on/off or OpenTherm?

Last edited:
Yes Andy, you would need a 3 channel wiser to work with zoned heating and a hot water cylinder (which is what you have). You could stick with the 2 channel, but as you’ve identified you’d lose a heating source unless you bypass the zone and just use a single zone.

If you have linked TRV's then no real reason to also have zone valves, the zone valve and TRV do same job, but first connection is how are you connecting the Wiser, on/off or OpenTherm?

Ok, it'll be On/Off I believe as it's a Worcester Bosch Ri so don't think it supports OpenTherm?

Yes Andy, you would need a 3 channel wiser to work with zoned heating and a hot water cylinder (which is what you have). You could stick with the 2 channel, but as you’ve identified you’d lose a heating source unless you bypass the zone and just use a single zone.

I would be happy to bypass the bedroom zone and just have a single zone, don't think I'd be missing out on much doing it this way. Question is, is it simple to do that? I was hoping to install this myself but more I look at it, might be beyond my capabilities!

Appreciate the help so far!

Sponsored Links
You could do as per Eric for the easiest way.

• Thanks
Reactions: AMW
Great cheers chaps, hopefully it'll be straightforward to locate the right wires!

Reactions: CBW
A S Plan uses standard zone valves, Grey and Orange to Micro switch, Brown and Blue to the coil, the two motorised valves are likely close together, likely you will have a wiring centre like these upper_wiring_centre_plus_heatlink.jpgSecond_Wiring_Centre.jpg where the valves or programmers are connected, and you will see the cable from the motorised valve 1664035664162.png the colours for this cable will be correct, as the valve comes with the cable already connected, so two of the browns need to go together, since only three valves even using trial and error it should not be a problem, clearly take a picture first, you put brown for upper motorised valve with the one for lower valve, and now only one zone.
S_Plan.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: AMW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back