Wiring door bell,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to buy both the items below but just wondering how it gets wired up?

Im assuming I need to tap it into the mains ?

Attachments

• 79E8A1AE-8A6D-4143-83A2-836E4B11A2B7.png
    79E8A1AE-8A6D-4143-83A2-836E4B11A2B7.png
    211.4 KB · Views: 239
Sponsored Links
NO! This chime is battery operated (one 9V battery by the seem of things) but may be run from the mains through an appropriate transformer. Do not under any circumstances connect this bell directly to the mains.

NO! This chime is battery operated (one 9V battery by the seem of things) but may be run from the mains through an appropriate transformer. Do not under any circumstances connect this bell directly to the mains.

According to the reviews you have the option of the transformer or battery, I will go with the transformer and then into mains?

But how does this all wire up?

The primary of the transformer (230V) connects to the mains by an appropriate plug or other connector. The secondary (ELV) side which will be rated at 9V or so, will connect to the "input" terminals on the door chime. The wire from the bell-push to the chime will connect to the "bell-push" terminals on the door chime. You will need to refer to the wiring diagram(s) supplied with the bell.

Note that the mains connection to the transformer must use mains-rated cables, and may involve more than just plugging in, so a competent electrician may be required.

The cables between the chime and the bell-push are only required to be rated for extra-low voltage (under 50V DC).

If you do not feel confident to do the mains side of the installation, then run the chime from a battery.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back