wiring for 3 gang switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
installed a new porch with 3 downlights and cabled wiring through to the hall way.

had an existing 2 gang switch controlling downstairs hall light and upstairs hall lights.

both ground floor and 1st floor lights have intermediate switches.

have replaced the 2 gang switch with a 3 gang switch and now need to wire in the new line from the new porch. The existing setup is now working but what's the recommendation here to wire in the new lights?

Lighting2.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Doable at the switch if there is a neutral present. Bear in mind that a blue or black cable at the switch may not be a neutral.

Sorry it's taken a while to post - other emergencies to battle.

here is the current wiring:

upload_2022-3-16_22-22-27.png

Sponsored Links
I guess the three boxes at the bottom are the three switches? What are the blacks with 6 circles?

Really need an actual photo of the wiring. History shows that a schematic often doesn’t tell the actual situation, usually it’s the poster’s belief of what is there, and often there’s more to see. Thanks.

The boxes at the bottom are the three switches and the boxes with the 6 circles are the terminal strips

upload_2022-3-16_23-23-37.png

upload_2022-3-17_0-48-4.png

Blimey, what an unholy mess.

sorry to be negative but, as far as I can see you do not have a neutral in that switch box. This means that you cannot power your new lights from that switch box. You will need to run a neutral to the new lights, or to the switch.

Notes of caution.
1. The switch probably has power from two separate circuits. There is two way switching possibly from upstairs and downstairs lighting breakers. You’ll need to make sure you do not take a neutral from downstairs and a live from upstairs.
2. Read the wiki and understand how lighting circuits are wired. https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics%3ALighting-Circuit-layouts

G
enerally, I do not know why the terminal blocks are need. While you are at it the whole thing needs sorting out.

Thank you for taking the time, really appreciate it and yes I agree, it really needs to get sorted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back