Wiring for Outside Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of fitting a false ceiling in a portion of my kitchen before having the room replastered and it seems an ideal opportunity to run some cabling through the ceiling void to feed an outside light at a later date.

I plan to run some 2.5mm T&E from a fused spur through the outside wall into a junction box like this:
http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electric...ll-Small-Junction-Box-12608730?skuId=13129436

then when the time comes I can take a rubber cable out of the bottom using one of these:
http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electric...ommet-Pack-Of-2-Black-12608726?skuId=13129432

I understand using bottom entries for the cables maintains the maximum IP rating of the enclosure, but how about running a cable through the back of the box?

If this isn't the best solution, what would you guys recommend?

Sponsored Links
Do without the junction box.

Where will the SFCU be?

Will you be having a switch indoors?
Double pole would be better for outside lighting.

Run T&E cable from the existing kitchen light to the switch position and the rubber flex up and out.
1mm² on the lighting circuit will not need a fuse.

The SFCU will be inside the kitchen. I'd planned to install this next to a socket where I can easily extend the ring to include it. Then the wiring up into the ceiling void where it can pass through the external wall.

The main reason for the external junction box is it gives me somewhere to terminate the cable until I get round to actually installing some lights (probably next spring now) rather thanhaving to leave a coil of rubber cable dangling outside the house. It nay not be ideal but the internal wiring needs to be done now!

Appreciate the comment about using the lighting circuit to avoid fusing down but taking a spur from the lights is going to be difficult.

Sponsored Links
Make sure it's a double-pole SFCU, and don't use twin & earth from it - those boxes don't have the right sort of glands for that cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back