2 security lights wired to single plug...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Currently i have a wire which is plugged into an upstairs plug socket which goes through the exterior wall and is connected to a security light (which no longer works).

I am proposing to do the following -

1) remove the old security light and dispose

2) lead the wire from the internal plug into a junction box on the external wall (outside) (http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electrical/switches-sockets/outdoor-switches-sockets/junction_boxes/-specificproducttype-weatherproof_ip66/HEC-Weatherproof-Junction-Box-IP66-123mm-9412332)

3) connecting the live wire to this connection strip (http://www.oceanlighting.co.uk/light-switches-c246/accessories-c248/lga-selectric-lga-selectric-1003-30-amp-clear-connector-strip-pack-of-10-p7487?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=lga-selectric-lga-selectric-1003-30-amp-clear-connector-strip-pack-of&utm_campaign=product+listing+ads#7488)

4) leading off the connection strip 2 wires (type defined by the security light instructions - 1mm 3 core external wire) each to a single security light attached to the external wall.

I have the following questions -

1) Does this sound sensible?

2) what amp should i have in the plug which is connected to plug socket indoors

3) have i missed anything?

Im fine with connections, drilling etc... i guess i just want advice as to whether i have not though of everything or if this sounds mental!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
whats the distances from this box to each light, it sounds a bit rough to be honest :)

agree... its not the ideal... but as i already have an external source of power i was looking to use it.

the first will be around 1m from the box, the second slightlu further away - between 5-7m from the box.

Use a 3amp fuse. I've not looked at the links but try not to come in the top of the box and use nylon glands for each cable entry. Clip the cables neatly to the wall and leave a drip loop if you can.

Sponsored Links
thanks.

i have glands to get a good fit to the junction box from the wire.

I have 3 acess holes on the under side of the box and was planning leading the wire upwards into the box (to avoid water getting in!)

What lights will you be using ? If they are anything but low power LED or CF then 3A may not be adequate.

You'd be better with smaller terminals. 30A terminal strip has quite large holes, it can be tricky terminating small cables reliably, especially stranded cable.

Also, I'm fairly certain this sort of work will be notifiable.

You might struggle with a 3A fuse - but suck it and see !

Although you've only 240W, which is 1A, they take a considerably higher current for a second while they heat up. This is many times the normal running current, and may be enough to make a 3A fuse fail over time. If it does, try a 5A fuse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back