Wiring a security light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently connected an outside security light with built in sensor by passing the wire through the wall and simply plugging it into the nearest socket.

I am planning to place another security light and was wondering if it would be ok to use the following set up:

Plug with 1.5mm 3 core flex connected to a junction box and then the same type of flex coming from the junction box to the two security lights?

Also

Is it ok to place a junction box outside??

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Isn't it normally the preferred practice to connect exterior lights to the light circuit, not plugged into a plug socket?

What I did when I fitted my external light, is take a spur from the bathroom light. Ran a cable to a FCU, then through the house wall into the light. You can then connect another cable from the switched live from the PIR to another light (I think )

Isn't it normally the preferred practice to connect exterior lights to the light circuit, not plugged into a plug socket?

It's best to review the circuit loading and the new light loading first.

A 6A circuit can only supply 13 standard lamp sockets. A single 500W security light would use 5 of these up, leaving a capacity of 8 lamps on the rest of the circuit.

A 5A circuit would only supply 11 lamps positions.

If it's getting tight, a FCU from a ring final would be preferable.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies.

I have a very basic knowledge of wiring and electrics (changing plug sockets, light switches) and so I would not want to tamper with any of the circuits.

It is a 300W security light that I have connected using this type of flex

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/61570.../3-Core/3183TRS-0-75mm-3-Core-Flex-Black-25m#

I have connected a plug and run the flex along the skirting board and along the wall and then passed it through a hole I drilled in the wall connecting it to the light.

Is this setup safe?? and would it be safe to add another 300W light??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back