wiring a 500w security light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,

i am intending to wire a p.i.r security light above my patio doors,my question is:

do I tee into the radial circuit with a 20amp junction box, then connect a 3amp fcu followed by the security light is this the correct installation?

are there any links to wiring diagrams

cheers

Sponsored Links
You should follow the instructions that came with the lamp regarding the Fused Connection Unit.
Normally you will connect it into the lighting circuit via an FCU -though that would depend on the load that is already carrying. Alternatively you could wire it into the radial final circuit provided you fused it down to 3Amp or whatever the instructions say.
I think you will find that there are legal limits now on the power of outdoor lights for domestic properties - again I think it is around 120w.

Regarding wiring - you will probably need to use three core and earth - you will definitely need the line, neutral and cpc and possibly an additional conductor for the pir.

thank you for your reply,

I have enough to carry 500w if need be,i have not purchased a security light as yet, so dont have a diagram to hand,my question is regarding installation as per previous post I simply doing some home work hence the diagrams and installation advice/request

cheers

Normally you would take the feed from the lighting circuit as mentioned previously by riveralt, an alternative is to break in to a socket circuit, you could do this by either taking a spur from an existing socket outlet and down fusing or by introduction a connection via a joint and down fusing, bare in mind all joints most be accessible 526.3.
Other things to take in to consideration are the distance the cable runs from the joint, it could effect voltage drop and ZS readings.

Sponsored Links
Regarding wiring - you will probably need to use three core and earth - you will definitely need the line, neutral and cpc and possibly an additional conductor for the pir.

Doubt it, unless its in component form.
Standard T&E will suffice.

Doubt it, unless its in component form.
Standard T&E will suffice.
Indeed - if it's a self-contained light+PIR unit, you'd usually only need an additional (PIR-switched L) conductor if you wanted to run any additional lights from the unit's PIUR - and, even then, that would probably be in a separate (T&E) cable, not in the main supply cable (unless, I suppose, the additional lights happened to be close to the source of the supply). - OR (if the unit permits it - which basically requires it to use a relay for switching) to enable the light to be remotely switched on when not activated by the PIR.

Kind Regards, John.

You may wish to take note of what riveralt says about the power limit allowed for outside lighting, it will probably apply to you.

Anyway, a 500W lamp just above the height of the patio doors may be unpleasantly bright.

You may wish to take note of what riveralt says about the power limit allowed for outside lighting, it will probably apply to you.
What regulations or legislation is/are imposing this limit? Although it doesn't sound like an unreasonable concept (provided that the limit is sensible), I've never heard of it. Does it perhaps relate primarily (or even exclusively) to lights positioned such that they could be a hazard to traffic on a road?

Kind Regards, John.

What regulations or legislation is/are imposing this limit? Although it doesn't sound like an unreasonable concept (provided that the limit is sensible), I've never heard of it. Does it perhaps relate primarily (or even exclusively) to lights positioned such that they could be a hazard to traffic on a road?

Kind Regards, John.
I haven't got the approved documents to hand at the moment but I think it is linked to Approved documents L1B (existing dwellings) Building Regs 2000.
10.6.2 Electricians Guide to the Building Regs.

I haven't got the approved documents to hand at the moment but I think it is linked to Approved documents L1B (existing dwellings) Building Regs 2000.
10.6.2 Electricians Guide to the Building Regs.
Thanks. Do you (or anyone else) know roughly what this documents says about the topic in question?

Kind Regards, John.

10.6.2 (electricians guide to part p)
external lighting includes lights in porches, but not lighting in garages or carports.
When providing external lighting, reasonable provisions should be made to enable effective control and/or the use of efficent lamps. A way of showing compliance when providing external lighting would be to install systems that:
a) automatically extinguish when there is enough daylight, and when not required at night and/or
b) have lamp holders that can only be used with lamps having an efficacy greater that 40 lumens per circuit-watt (such as flureescent or compact lamp types)

PS. Ignore page 21 direction, for some strange reason my copy is different to the online one linked to :confused:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADL1_2002.pdf
regulation 1.54 and 1.55 page 17/18

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back