500W security light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i know the basics on wiring lights up but this is a wattage question.
I have a 500W security light but after only 1 week the bulb has gone mmm so i was just going to change for another 500w one but i wondered if i could replace it with a 300W one (which iv heard is the same size)
but still keep my original wiring??

(the wiring is .75 6amp 3 core wire into a 5 amp fused plug )

any ideas peeps?

Sponsored Links
Yep not a problem. The problem comes when you try to put a higher rated lamp into an existing fitting.

You didn't touch the lamp with bare fingers did you?

If lamps start to fail every time after a week or so, it is usually the pins on the lamp holder which have burnt out, rather than the actual lamp failing.

230w = 1 amp 500w = 2.2a

you can choose any combination on the total lighting circuit up to 6 amps 1380w

i must admit this time round i think i did touch the bulb when putting it in but i did wipe it afterwards..lol...however i wont be doing that again.

i just thought it went because its been boxed up in the shed for about 3 years ( varid temps and all) and because it was 500W...it lets out alot of bloody heat.... :D

300 i thought would be cooler and cheaper and not so bright.

thanks for the help peeps.

Sponsored Links
I think you now need permission from the council for lamps over 150 watt used outside. Seeing the light from a 70 watt Nickel Metal Halide lamp I think this is quite reasonable. Any lamp over 150W must be 40 lumens per watt or better so except for special use the old 500W lamp is now something of the past and for museums with the gas lamps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back