Security Lighting - But efficient

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a crop of 500W lights with individual PIR control providing 'security' lighting around my home.

I'm becoming convinced that having low wattage lights controlled by a photocell (dusk to dawn) might be superior.

The 500W lights are under the eves of a normal 2 story house, so about 5 metres above ground level.

Can anyone suggest suitable replacement lights which will be low wattage (or energy efficient?) and effective from that height?

Steve

Sponsored Links
son lighting on a dusk till dawn is fairly cheap, a 70W lamp will illuminate a large area, although they are orange like some street lighting, metal halide i think is a white light but have never installed them so cant comment from experience. the SON lights would work best on a photocell i dont think they are any good on a PIR due to warm up times.

You could install a floodlight that uses a low energy CFL such as these, although at 5 metres from the ground it's likely they wont be very effective. Some form of discharge lighting is probably the way to go, and SON will be cost effective and provide plenty of light if you don't mind the orange-streetlight tinge. Metal halide will provide bright white light and is still cheap to run, but as far as I'm aware, doesn't provide quite as many lumens per watt as SON.

Have a look through this lot:-

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_External_Index/Lighting_Floodlight_Index/index.html

LED stuff would do the job, but some is very expensive such as this, which is a nats whisker under £300 :eek:

STXLED25B.JPG

Sponsored Links
PL floods are the best for this sort of thing on a normal domestic property.

Discharge floods would be overkill IMO

Thanks to all who responded.

I have a total of 5 of the 500W PIR jobs to replace. I'll start by replacing one with a 26W smartflood with photocell and see how that goes.

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back