Dusk Till Dawn Security Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am thinking of getting a few security lights for the house. I do not want the PIR security lights (which switch off and on when someone moves) but prefer we have security lights on all the time at night.

I have had a look at toolstation but they all seem to be PIR lights

Anyone know where to get security lights that are dusk till dawn always on?

Also do you guys generally find toolstation to be cheaper then the local independent outlets - I have see some people suggest tlc electrical.

Sponsored Links
I am thinking of getting a few security lights for the house.
Speak to an electrician. He or she will get trade discount and then be able to install and connect them safely for you.

Thanks - But I prefer to do myself

I think what I am after is a photocell and some "uncontrollled" security lights. Are these things hard to install?

I have seen a few on screwfix that look like they would work ubt I have never wired up a photocell before

Sponsored Links
If you are installing an external light which is supplied from your electrical system and fixed to the exterior surface of your house then you should ensure that reasonable provisions are made to enable effective control and/or use of energy efficient lamps.

Two options for achieving this are:

*Installing a lamp with a capacity which does not exceed 150W per light fitting and the lighting automatically switches off both when there is enough daylight and also when it is not required at night
*Ensuring that the lighting fittings you use have sockets that can only be used with lamps having an energy efficacy greater than 40 lumens per circuit-watt.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/lighting/

Thanks - But I prefer to do myself

:rolleyes:

After all the hassle you had understanding how to wire a 10A switch?

You say you are asking whether they are hard to install yet in your thread about installing downlighters you gushed about how easy it was to install lighting.

Make your mind up!

I have a dusk to dawn, but also all my pir lights can be switched for dusk to dawn.They have 3 options, pir, dusk to dawn. off.

If your going dusk till dawn then halogen will be inefficient,
Look for 70watt metal halide floodlights

I am using 13w low energy.
If you want dusk to dawn the light outout required, must be related to what you want to illuminate. 70w seems a lot unless its a comercial property

I am using 13w low energy.
If you want dusk to dawn the light outout required, must be related to what you want to illuminate. 70w seems a lot unless its a comercial property
I think you ought to go for 1000w floods. Eddies do them. That will be a beacon for the fire service when your down lighters start smoking and you can't turn them off or kill the power because you can't find the fuse in the 10Ax switch plate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back