Dusk till 11pm timer

In terms of the sort of photocells I'm talking about (e.g. the one I pictured) I don't think I've ever seen a one in which one could terminate SWA (even one, let alone two).
They have a 20mm hole in the bottom, im sure someone somewhere has terminated an swa into it.
I'm sure someone has! What I should have written was something like ".. not designed for termination of SWA". What was really in my mind, given what the OP had written, is that there clearly is no way that anyone could even try to terminate 2 x SWA into a thing like that!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
In terms of the sort of photocells I'm talking about (e.g. the one I pictured) I don't think I've ever seen a one in which one could terminate SWA (even one, let alone two).
MK-Electric-56748.jpg
Fair enough. I only said that I hadn't seen one :) Anyway, in context, the important point for the OP is that, as has been explained to him, there's no reason why he would need to use SWA for the phototocell.

Kind Regards, John

They have a 20mm hole in the bottom, im sure someone somewhere has terminated an swa into it.
I have, sort of :) .

I tried it with a CW gland first but couldn't manage the cores inside properly to wire them in. So I just trimmed the armour and threw the sheath through a standard stuffing gland. The armour is earthed at the other end.

I have, sort of :) . I tried it with a CW gland first but couldn't manage the cores inside properly to wire them in. So I just trimmed the armour and threw the sheath through a standard stuffing gland. The armour is earthed at the other end.
Fair enough - but I'm not sure I would really count that as 'terminating SWA'!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Well it was terminated properly before I realised I couldn't get the socket screwed back down so it now just terminates without a terminal :p

Ah - socket.

There wouldn't be room. You should have used a male conduit bush & a coupler.

Dunno if you can get BS1363 socket modules for Commando enclosures.

I'm sure there are reasons, possibly very good ones, why that is much cheaper than Sangamo timers.

You could get a Q551 and just set it to come on earlier than dusk, and put up with the lights coming on a little too soon if the weather is good, or have the timer set like that and put a photocell switch in series with it, after the timer.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
BTW Sheds, what does your name mean. Do you mean ban all garden sheds, or do you mean ban B&Q and their ilk?
The latter.
Sorry not to reply for so long. The email notifications of new posts stopped arriving for some reason.
Yes, that happens sporadically, for whatever reason, but usually gets mended (or mends itself) within a day or so at most.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back