Turn outside lights to dusk till dawn?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Just wondering if anyone has a solution to my question. I have 3 outside lights (front, side and back of house). All of these lights are wired to the same switch in the hallway. This is a 3 gang switch that controls outside lights, hallway and upstairs landing. I keep forgetting to turn off the outside lights when I leave for work and would like to ideally remove the switch and turn them into dusk till dawn lights.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to do this? I don't really want to change the lights outside.. they are quite old but really suit the house.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I suggest leaving the switch in place or have some other means to isolate the lights without affecting everything else in that circuit. You need something like this wired into them http://bit.ly/2j8MWHH

Take note of the maximum wattage each photocell can handle (just in case you have halogen/high wattage lights)

Sponsored Links
Take note of the maximum wattage each photocell can handle (just in case you have halogen/high wattage lights)
The one you linked to (which is probably the most common one around) can handle 1kW of incandescent lighting - and if the OP is using anything approaching that amounting of lighting ("from dusk to dawn") he probably would have more to worry about than the rating of the photocell :)

I use a photocell like that one and in the distant 'bad old days' I must have had something like 500W being switched (3 x PAR38s, for a start), and that was never a problem. Those photocells don't last forever (just the 'tops' van be replaced) but they usually do last a good few years.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John, I just want to mention the rating just in case they had something like 3 x 500w+ halogens and wired them all up to a single photocell.

Thanks John, I just want to mention the rating just in case they had something like 3 x 500w+ halogens and wired them all up to a single photocell.
Yes, I realise that and, in turn, wanted to 'warn' him (albeit slightly obliquely) that, say, 3 x 500W halogens on "dusk to dawn" would, at this time of year, probably cost him (on standard tariffs) nearly £4 per day (i.e. £28 per week, about £112 per month) to run (which is more than some people's total electricity bill!) :)

Kind Regards, John

Only problem is the current switch is a 3way switch with other lights being controlled, so that cannot replace his switch. But nice retro fit product for some applications.

As ever, "dusk-til-dawn" is probably not ideal. Do the lights really need to be on past, say 02:00 (time picked at random)?

As ever, "dusk-til-dawn" is probably not ideal. Do the lights really need to be on past, say 02:00 (time picked at random)?
I leave ours on during night-time hours as a deterrent. Burglars don't knock off at 2am, not that I know from personal experience of course!

I leave ours on during night-time hours as a deterrent. Burglars don't knock off at 2am, not that I know from personal experience of course!
True, but isn't the standard approach to this to have the lighting triggered by the presence of people (PIR, active IR beams, microwave, CCTV etc. etc.)??

Kind Regards, John

True, but isn't the standard approach to this to have the lighting triggered by the presence of people (PIR, active IR beams, microwave, CCTV etc. etc.)??

Kind Regards, John
We have PIR lamps round the back.

To be honest, I just want something to help with the fact I always forget to turn them off on a morning when I leave for work. The lights are lantern style with energy saving bulbs in each

To be honest, I just want something to help with the fact I always forget to turn them off on a morning when I leave for work. The lights are lantern style with energy saving bulbs in each
Do you want/need the lights to be on just for a short period whilst you are leaving in the morning? If so, you could use a time-delay switch - just press the button and then the lights will come on for a few minutes or (if electronic) however long it has been set to.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back