"Dusk Till Dawn lighting"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to light up my driveway/gates and I was going to wire in some exterior lighting with PIR sensors, but after doing some research it seems now that it is recommended by the police to use 'dusk till dawn' lighting.

Does anyone know where I can buy some of these? Either on the web or DIY shops.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There's two types of PIR device, a simple motion switch device and one that has both the motion and the lux level settings.

Lux levels refer to natural light level and work via a photocell.

Dusk to dawn, is lighting that switches on at Dusk and turns off at Dawn via a photocell measuring the natural light and deciding when to switch on and off.

You can get intergated all in one lamps, or sensors that will switch on / off any light cicuits in the range 100w-2000w.

Here's a decent supplier:-

Dusk to dawn sensors http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Security_Menu_Index/Lighting_Controls_1/index.html

Security kit http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Security_Menu_Index/Security_Lighting_Index/index.html

External lights http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_External_Index/index.html

Richard326 said:
it seems now that it is recommended by the police to use 'dusk till dawn' lighting.

aare the police going to pay your leccy bill?

even with cfl lamps, it will add up over time

Your neighbours will love you too. Nothings better than a bright light shining through the curtains when you are trying to sleep. :evil:

Sponsored Links
Your neighbours will love you too. Nothings better than a bright light shining through the curtains when you are trying to sleep. :evil:

I can assure you your neighbours will perfer the steady glow from a dusk to dawn switch than the flashing on and off of a PIR that seem to switch on and off all night for no reason.

its a matter of opinion i suppose, but i would think that a motion activated PIR would be more of a deterrent than a dusk til dawn light.

Once the local scumbags have established that DtD light will be on no matter what, they will be able to hide in bushes or whatever and will have a clear view of the illuminated house to decide the best time to approach.

A PIR may have some element of surprise, but it may also serve to warn you or your neighbours that something is moving around in the garden.

I recently repaired an exterior light for an old dear down the street who was robbed, that was a DtD. The local scrotes came over the fields that back on to her house and through the garden. I think the DtD merely helped them avoid the ponds and the thorn bushes in her back garden.

If the lights are for convience and asthetics, then fit a DtD.
If its primarily for security, then fit a PIR.

I would prefer a PIR. ;)

Many years ago I had a dusk to dawn light which also had a PIR and lux sensor. So it switched on at dusk (would you believe) but only at reduced light levels then if someone walked in the PIR sensor range it fired up to full power. Dont know if you can still get them though and i guess the low energy lamps may not work with the reduced power setting.

Many years ago I had a dusk to dawn light which also had a PIR and lux sensor. So it switched on at dusk (would you believe) but only at reduced light levels then if someone walked in the PIR sensor range it fired up to full power. Dont know if you can still get them though and i guess the low energy lamps may not work with the reduced power setting.

Sure you can. Google Hi Lo PIR
Comes on at dusk at lower light level and goes to full whack if it detects a slug munching on the Hostas. Some let you can set the on period from dusk so its not on all night.

Personally I believe that Burglar Bill likes these lights as it gives him some way of selecting the correct key/jemmy/etc without having to carry a torch.

[/quote]Personally I believe that Burglar Bill likes these lights as it gives him some way of selecting the correct key/jemmy/etc without having to carry a torch.

Which could be why i kept getting my car window smashed and anything worth taking gone.

Your right key/jemmy and great big house brick all found quite easily.

Does anyone know where you can get a PIR detector with a seperate output for lux?
I want to get my outside lights to come on when it gets dark until around midnight (using an additional timeclock) and then between midnight and morning if anyone walks past them they will come on via the PIR.
I know you can get PIRs and Lux sensors seperately but it would be neater if i could use one unit with two switched outputs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back