Dimmer switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted to change the standard light switch in my living room to a dimmer switch. I've bought one of these http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electric...-Dimmer-White-TQP251W-12389264?skuId=12909968 and it would make the bulb flicker and buzz. Reading some of the older threads I've found out that these do not work with energy saving bulbs. My bulb is 15W. Ive tried the same dimmer in another room that has a 8W energy saving bulb (before reading the older threads) and it seems to work a little better, no buzzing and stays steady on low lighting.

Do I need to get one of these to make the switch work better? http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/lighti...lfball-B22-Light-Bulb-12418937?skuId=12939643

There are bulbs with different wattage , which would be best?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Dimmers often have a minimum loading, typically 40 watts.
Dimmers cannot be used with standard compact fluorescent energy saving bulbs.
Dimmers should not ideally be used with halogen energy (not very much) saving bulbs as halogen bulbs rely on recombination of boiled off filament which won't happen when they are dimmed.
Also dimmers don't work with standard LED lamps.

You can get special dimmable CFL and LED lamps but they require a special dimmer as well.

Thanks for your reply.

These halogen bulbs state that they're dimmable, does this mean they're different from other halogen bulbs?

I don't really want to spend much as dimming the lights is not necessary just would be nice to have.

If I did get the bulbs from the first post, would they work with the mentioned switch as i cant see a minimum load. All I see mentioned is 250W, guessing thats the maximum.

Sorry to sound like a noob, its because i am ;)

I'm intrigued by the concept of not dimming halogen lamps- unless the chemistry is radically different from the commercial halogen stuff I've worked with for the last 30 years.

Regarding your 40w halogen thing- if you only have 1 of those on your dimmer it may not work properly (triac dimmers need a reasonable load to work properly, if they don't have enough of a load then they don't dim properly, make a fair bit of noise and get hot). Though if the thing is managing to light an 8w compact fluorescent then you'll probably be OK.

I wouldn't recommend using a clear lamp for general lighting in a living room- you'll get very harsh shadows. You can still get standard BC pearl lamps (the cost is getting excessive) if they're specified as Rough Service.http://www.amazon.co.uk/60w-Gls-Pearl-Bulb-Pack/dp/B0039NM5YY . Or try local electrical wholesalers.

Sponsored Links
I'm intrigued by the concept of not dimming halogen lamps- unless the chemistry is radically different from the commercial halogen stuff I've worked with for the last 30 years.

It is generally accepted that it will shorten their life as recombination is no longer possible, but I've seen it done quite often with no complaints about short life.

I wouldn't recommend using a clear lamp for general lighting in a living room- you'll get very harsh shadows. You can still get standard BC pearl lamps (the cost is getting excessive) if they're specified as Rough Service.http://www.amazon.co.uk/60w-Gls-Pearl-Bulb-Pack/dp/B0039NM5YY . Or try local electrical wholesalers.

Why do I need the Rough Service bulbs?
I need a frosted bulb for no shadows, right?
And are all of these bulbs ok for dimming even if they don't mention dimming?

Thanks.

Rough service bulbs give even less lumens per watt than ordinary bulbs.

Yes all the tungsten GLS will dim properly and yes you want a pearl lamp to avoid sharp shadows (you'll still get shadows but they'll be much less obtrusive).

And yes the Rough Service GLS are dimmer than 'normal' GLS (which the EU decided were bad for the polar bears) watt for watt- 60W Rough Service is about the same as 40W 'normal'. (I got caught like that years ago at work, should have mentioned it in the first post).

I passed a B&Q today and picked up a clear pearl 40W light bulb as i couldnt wait to test the dimmer switch.

Switch is working very well, no flickering or buzzing. I have a lot of shadow on the ceilings and walls though as i have a glass light shade. Would the frosty pearl bulb reduce the shadow enough to make a difference?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back