Double dimmers on spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all
I am quite stressed.
We have had installed six flood lights in one bedroom.
There are two dimer switches controlling them (they are supposed to be two ways details are here
http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electric...itch-250W-Chrome-Plated-9289245?skuId=9298945
The result is a catastrophe. It only work if both dimmers are at full power.
Is it possible to easily change one of the dimmers 'dimable' function to on/off only? Do I make sense?
If you ask me what is controlling the other gang, we will have an LED strip as well.
Finally, the six flood lights are 50W each.

I hope this is more or less clear - any question please ask. I am quite stressed about this problem coming so late ..

Sponsored Links
First off, the dimmer handles 250W and you have 6 x 50W which equals?

You need a minimum of a 400W dimmer.

Also B&Q robbed you at that price! Crabtree can be got a lot cheaper at loads of places, not just the sheds.Ignore that. Maybe not ;)

I did not buy it at B&Q, that's just for the description.

OK, we may need to change the module isn'it.

However my question is rather: how hard would it be to correct this if indeed the two dimmers cannot 'live' altogether? thanks a lot.

You should have one as a master dimmer and the other as a slave. Whether that works with those dimmers I'm not 100% sure (I'm not up to speed with two way dimmers, usually just stick switch t'other end).

Wiser lighting heads will be along.

(P.S. I wasn't being sarcastic on my last post)

Sponsored Links
No worries ;)

So it's easy to rectify?

The initial wiring (I mean electric cables) is not a problem? No need to break the walls to reach the cables?

Thanks !

Yeah, If you are just replacing normal switches for dimmers, it should be (notice I said should??)

As far as I know Master and Slave dimmers only come in the touch sensitive type. If you want to keep a rotary then (again, as far as I know) you need a bog standard (2 way) switch on the other end.

Where's RFLighting when you need him??? :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back