can I fitter a dimmer switch in these circumstances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am changing the switch/socket plates in the kitchen as I am renovating the room. There are no queries about the sockets - just the one light switch I have in there.

That switch is a 2 gang switch operating both the kitchen and dining room. In the kitchen are 6 spotlights and in the dining room a spotlight bar with 4 spotlights. they are fitted and operating of the normal 2 gangway switch plate.

Can I change the standard 2 way to a 2 way dimmer?. The reason I ask as I am not sure whether dimmers can be used with spotlights/spotlight bars

many thanks for your help

P.S below is the the style of switch I am buying and this is the dimmer I would fit if it would work

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/94503...ofile/Crabtree-2G-2W-250W-Dimmer-Black-Nickel

Sponsored Links
You need to be careful with dimmers because they are only rated to carry a certain load, normally 2 gang units a 250W per gang. You say you have 6 lights in your kitchen, assuming they are 50W then that is 300W and a few other factors like are they 12V or 230V spots etc to consider

You need to be careful with dimmers because they are only rated to carry a certain load, normally 2 gang units a 250W per gang. You say you have 6 lights in your kitchen, assuming they are 50W then that is 300W and a few other factors like are they 12V or 230V spots etc to consider

Reading the lights it says on both bar and individual that they are Max 50W GU10.....sorry all I know....if that helps

and reading the leaflet that came with it says max bulb type 50W GU10 Mains 230-240V self shielded halogen bulb....so I have 6 spots in kitchen and 4 on the bar

The dimmer will not be able to handle 6 lamps @ 50W each. One option would be to change the 50W lamps in the kitchen to 40W energy saving halogens (give roughly the same light output as standard 50W lamps). That gives you 240W total, rather than the 300W, which is under the 250W limit of the dimmer you have chosen.
http://www.litebulbs.co.uk/category/156/osram-gu10-energy-saving-halogen-light-bulbs.aspx
The risk with putting lower wattage lamps in is that somebody could replace the 40W lamps with 50W lamps without knowing the limits of the dimmer and it could fail.

Sponsored Links
The dimmer will not be able to handle 6 lamps @ 50W each. One option would be to change the 50W lamps in the kitchen to 40W energy saving halogens (give roughly the same light output as standard 50W lamps). That gives you 240W total, rather than the 300W, which is under the 250W limit of the dimmer you have chosen.
http://www.litebulbs.co.uk/category/156/osram-gu10-energy-saving-halogen-light-bulbs.aspx
The risk with putting lower wattage lamps in is that somebody could replace the 40W lamps with 50W lamps without knowing the limits of the dimmer and it could fail.

Very helpful and clear. Appreciate your time - many thanks

Some companies will do a 400VA 2 gang dimmer. I think Scolmore do it in their Click range. If you fit a dimmer make sure your GU10 lamps are a good quality fused variety. Most name brands make fused lamps (Osram, Sylvania, Phillips etc) and will ensure that when they blow they won't damage your dimmer. Also ensure that the dimmer you choose doesn't have to be 'de rated'. Some of the cheaper dimmers will only be able to dim half the wattage that it claims when used with GU10 lamps.

Some of the cheaper dimmers will only be able to dim half the wattage that it claims when used with GU10 lamps.

So you end up with a dimmer, glimmer :LOL:

It always amuses me that folk put in a powerful, inefficient form of lighting and then decide they need to reduce the output.
Surely its better to select the light level you require and get a lamp to suit.

IMHO halogen lights are about the most unsuitable lighting for a work area, such as a kitchen.

PS, I'm having a grumpy day, I hope it doesn't show!! :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back