Electrical Interfence When Dimmer Switched On

Just typical. I went to record the noise and now it isn't doing it!

Sponsored Links
I realised that when I changed the existing dimmer to the new one I wired it incorrectly. Instead of wiring L1 and COM (wavy line with arrow pointing) I wired L1 and L2 on both dimmers.

I have now wired as per the original dimmer and whilst the lights work the arcing noise returned.

Have to say this noise is not occurring all the time. It definitely appears to come from the dining room ceiling rose so I checked that again and all wires appear firmly connected.

I have managed to record the noise.

Sounds like a sodding arc welder!

When you say that you have checked all the connections in the dining room light, does that include any that are stuffed up into the ceiling void?

When you had the dimmers wired to L1 & L2, I guess the lights did not come on?

Sponsored Links
That does sound (to me) like arcing. Have you had any success in trying to identify exactly where/what it is coming from.

Kind Regards, John

No, I'm still none the wiser. I'm going to get a sparky in.

Sounds like a sodding arc welder!

When you say that you have checked all the connections in the dining room light, does that include any that are stuffed up into the ceiling void?

When you had the dimmers wired to L1 & L2, I guess the lights did not come on?

I've checked as far as I can see and that fitting has been in place for several years as has the kitchen lighting.

Yes, when I connected L1 & L2 the lights didn't come on. I thought I had a faulty dimmer but on closer inspection of the picture I took of the original dimmer and wiring I realised my mistake.

This is not happening all the time and has only occurred recently hence I initially believed it to be a faulty dimmer.

One other thought. Could faulty transformers connected to the cabinet lighting cause this?

One other thought. Could faulty transformers connected to the cabinet lighting cause this?
As I said before, only something wrong in the vicinity of the dining room light could result in noises in the vicinity of the dining room light - so, unless that's where the kitchen cabinet lighting transformers are (which seems very unlikely!), they could not, alone, be a cause of the noise.

Kind Regards, John

• Thanks
Reactions: BF
As I said before, only something wrong in the vicinity of the dining room light could result in noises in the vicinity of the dining room light - so, unless that's where the kitchen cabinet lighting transformers are (which seems very unlikely!), they could not, alone, be a cause of the noise.

Kind Regards, John

Although the kitchen and dining room are nearby I doubt they put the transformers outside of the kitchen. In reality I just don't know.

Will update the thread when I find the answer. Thanks for all the help.

Although the kitchen and dining room are nearby I doubt they put the transformers outside of the kitchen. In reality I just don't know.
As you say, it would make little sense for transformers/power supplies for kitchen cabinet lights to be located away from the kitchen! Most commonly, they would be in, under or on top of the cabinets (or in/around some other kitchen cupboard/cabinet), although 'above the ceiling' is not impossible (although not very convenient for maintenance)
Will update the thread when I find the answer. Thanks for all the help.
We look forward to hearing. You know what I think/suspect :)

Kind Regards, John

• Thanks
If you think the transformers have a bearing on the noise, try disconnecting the secondary (outgoing) connections from the transformers for the cabinet lighting, then switching the dimmers on.
If this changes nothing, disconnect the primary (incoming) connections, then switch the dimmers on. If that makes no difference, the transformers are not involved.

• Thanks
If you think the transformers have a bearing on the noise, try disconnecting the secondary (outgoing) connections from the transformers for the cabinet lighting, then switching the dimmers on. If this changes nothing, disconnect the primary (incoming) connections, then switch the dimmers on. If that makes no difference, the transformers are not involved.
As has been said a good few times, the most likely cause of the noise (indeed, really the only cause I can think of!) would be a loose connection in the 'looping' of the lighting circuit, at either the rose or a JB in the dining room.

If that is the case, then anything which reduces (or eliminates) current flowing in the lighting circuit would be expected to reduce (or eliminate) the noise. Disconnecting the primary (and probably also disconnecting the secondary) of the cabinet lighting 'transformer' therefore would probably be expected to eliminate (or at least reduce, if one disconnected just the secondary) the noise, even if there were nothing wrong with the 'transformer'. In effect, disconnecting the 'transformer' (certainly the primary) should have the same effect as just switching off the cabinet lights (which, as I understand it, does make the noise go away).

Of course, as you say, if disconnecting even the primary of the transformer did not make the noise go away, then that would exonerate the 'transformer', but I can't see that happening, given that switching off the cabinet lights (effectively the same as disconnecting the primary of the transformer) does get rid of the noise.

Kind Regards, John

• Thanks
Just thinking that if the noise (or part of thereof) were coming from the transformer, it could be eliminated that way.

• Thanks
Just thinking that if the noise (or part of thereof) were coming from the transformer, it could be eliminated that way.
Well, yes, IF the 'transformer' for the kitchen cabinet lights were producing the noise (not impossible) and was located in the vicinity of the dining room ceiling light (which seems incredibly unlikely).

In any event, if the OP could find the 'transformer' (which, as I understand, he hasn't yet), it would then presumably become obvious if it was the source of the noise?

Kind Regards, John

• Thanks
Not always. It can be incredibly difficult to trace this kind of noise, especially where it can be transmitted through parts of the structure.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back