Can dimmers be used as 2 way?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to make my hall and stairway lights dimmers and have purchased Volex flatplate 2 way dimmers like this: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/67225...x-2G-2W-250W-M-LV-Dimmer-Black-Nickel-Flt-Plt

But I'm now told that I cannot use dimmers on 2 way switches. Thinking about it, it makes sense as the knobs are not the style which keep revolving, they have a max turn left and right, so I guess my answer's no?? But why are they sold as 2 way??? it's misleading!!

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Thx

Sponsored Links
Because you fit them only in one light switch position.
swithcing the other switch brings the lights on at the level the dimmer was last set to.

You can get dimmers for use at "both ends" one is a master the other a slave (to the master) but you have to wire them correctly first time as per the instructions.

I do not see the point of them as the most common place in a house to have 2 way switching is the landing, i would never recomend dimming a landing light.

all pot dimmers i.e dimmers with knobs, that are sold as 2 way require you to have the dimmer at one end and a rocker switch at the other and therefore only dimmable from one side of the circuit... if you want to dim both ends of the circuit you should look at the varilight ir/touch dimmers which work with the slave on multiway circuits.... check out tlc-direct :arrow:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back