Electrical Interfence When Dimmer Switched On

Not always. It can be incredibly difficult to trace this kind of noise, especially where it can be transmitted through parts of the structure.
That's true, which is why I have repeatedly asked the OP, but he seems fairly sure that it is coming from the vicinity of the dining room light. However, he obviously could be wrong about the actual source.

Anyway, my point remains that if he could find that 'transformer' (which he would have to, if he were going to try disconnecting it), he would presumably be able to determine whether that is the source of the noise.

Kind Regards, John

• Thanks
Reactions: BF
Sponsored Links
Hi, just thought I would provide an update.

Had a sparky come round this evening and, as I previously said, the arcing noise didn’t occur and hasn’t since I examined the ceiling rose the second time.

The sparky checked the dimmer connections and was happy with those. He then checked the ceiling rose and found one of the wires within a terminal block just above the ceiling had black marks which suggested this had been arcing. He reinstated the wires and tightened all connections up.

I can only assume that when I checked the ceiling rose the second time, and although I didn’t examine the terminal block, pushing it up must have made a better connection which prevented the arcing reoccurring.

Hopefully that is the problem resolved and my thanks to everyone that responded with help.

The sparky checked the dimmer connections and was happy with those. He then checked the ceiling rose and found one of the wires within a terminal block just above the ceiling had black marks which suggested this had been arcing. He reinstated the wires and tightened all connections up.
Thanks for the update - that's essentially what we have all been suggesting as the probable cause.
I can only assume that when I checked the ceiling rose the second time, and although I didn’t examine the terminal block, pushing it up must have made a better connection which prevented the arcing reoccurring.
Yes, that sounds quite likely.
Hopefully that is the problem resolved and my thanks to everyone that responded with help.
I share your hopes. Perhaps you could let us know in a while if the problem seems to have been cured?

Kind Regards, John

• Thanks
Reactions: BF
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back