Wiring for replacement outside light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

We have an external light (under a shelter) with a built-in PIR sensor, which can also be switched on by either of 2 switches located elsewhere in the house. The light is also linked to 3 other lights around the garden so that they all turn on/off together.

The PIR sensor has failed, so I'm trying to replace the light fitting with a similar one. However, there are only 3 terminals on the block in the new fitting, compared to 4 on the old one (L, N, Earth and X). Please see the image of old and new fittings.

My thought was to use the 4-terminal block in the new fitting (attaching it with the metal tab into the earth terminal as the 3-terminal block is currently). But in the new fitting, do I need to connect the 2 wires (currently connected together in the black terminal) into 'X' in the 4-terminal block? Or have I got that wrong and need to leave them as they are?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
My thought was to use the 4-terminal block in the new fitting (attaching it with the metal tab into the earth terminal as the 3-terminal block is currently). But in the new fitting, do I need to connect the 2 wires (currently connected together in the black terminal) into 'X' in the 4-terminal block?
Yes, that's all correct.

Last edited:
You need to beware the Wattage limits on the new one.

The energy saving lamps rating is a lot lower.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks, that's very useful. I'll wire the two wires into 'X' and use a 5W LED bulb that i have in there.
Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back