Wiring halogens to existing mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I was on the forum a couple of years ago and the advice really helped me so thanks in advance.

Basically we had our kitchen gutted and rebuilt, the 'kitchen fitter' installed 8 * 50w halogens into a lath and plaster ceiling on an existing mains light cable. I didn't really have any safety concerns so decided to go with it. I have been a bit worried about it recently and decided to have an electrician check it all out, he reckons its bad and needs rewired.

It's been running like this for 1 year with no issues, I've read alot about the safety of halogens vs fire rated halogens for my type of ceiling and as I'm off on hols soon and trying to save some cash I was thinking of just replacing the 50w halogens with 3w gu10 compatiable leds?

First question is, now I know heat will be reduced and thats a win for the lath and plaster ceiling.. but do I really have to have it all re wired? If it needs done then it needs done and thats fine.

what do you guys think?

The existing light mains is 'linked'? to the thinner cable that connects up the halogen downlights.

Sorry for lack of terminology but I don't really know anything about electrics, or any diy for that matter.

Sponsored Links
Yeah well, from what I gather the 8 lights are connected up like a 'daisy chain?'.

The mains cable which is grey and quite thick is connected to the black 'quite thin' halogen cable. It is connected together through a little box about the size of a match box and covered up with tape. he looked at it and said it would need re wired. Its worth mentioning that the existing light mains was feeding a single light and now we have it powering 8* 50watts I figured that must be something to do with it.

Just as an update i went to b and q today and forked out £120 for 8* philips 3w leds, very happy with them, no heat at all so its all good.

Think I need to have it all re wired?

Thanks for your time ^^

Can you get near the connections and take some pics?
I doubt it would need rewired if it has originally been wired in Twin & Earth, but thats a total guess without seeing the installation.
The taped up joints are a bit rough but not doing any harm.
£120 for LED's seems a lot of money but if your happy with the light output and puts your mind at ease then it'll be money well spent.

Sponsored Links
From the description it sounds to wired with choc bloc's. whilst not reccommended this is not dangerous, but why not, for piece of mind,have small junction boxes fitted.

Doesn't sound like it needs rewiring. Sound that a bit of tidying up of the connections is needed though.
But a picture of the light installation and connections will help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back