Dimming mains halogen and tungsten filament on same circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I'm installing 4 x 50W mains halogen lamps in my hallway, wired in parallel from an existing ceiling rose. There is a also a 60W tungsten filament bulb 'round the corner' on the same circuit. Can one 450W dimmer switch dim the lot, or are there any complications with halogen and filament together?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Unless the dimmer is designed for TH loads, they should be derated 50%.

So, add up the TH load: 200W, and double it: 400W. Then add any other loads: 60W + whatever the existing ceiling rose you've tapped off is carrying.

Looks like you need a 600W dimmer minimum.

TLC have a 1kW dimmer on a single plate.

Sponsored Links
Nickcrossland said:
I don't think 4 halogen lamps is that many??
200 watts, where you would once have a single 60w lamp. . .

In fact an 11 watt energy saver would be plenty, and light the space more evenly than 4 halogen lamps.

You can now get energy saving lamps in the form of GU10 "halogen" spotlights. They give off a more even, and cleaner light than standard GU10 spots, and only consume 9 watts each. I have some in my bathroom, and am very pleased with them. :D

Thanks Crafty - I have had a look at these, but I thought the light was a bit cold and prefer the warmer colour of the halogens. The plan is to always use the dimmer, and I reckon they will be on at less than half their full power. Are there warmer GU10 LED's available? Presumably these can't be dimmed?

Cheers, Nick

Nickcrossland said:
I reckon they will be on at less than half their full power.

You might as well use a candle in that case then... half power would be very dim indeed, or if you mean half brilliance then they'll be consuming a lot more than half power, its important to realise that the two states do not coincide!

then just buy 20W or 35W lamps you dimwit.. :rolleyes:

what's the point of putting 50W's in then dimming them to half brightness?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back