Wiring help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi wonder if anyone can help.

I have downlights in kitchen with power going back to double switch. 1 live wire, I neutral and 1 earth. This circuit works fine with live in L1 and neutral to L2.

I have now installed plinth lights and have another single wire going back to double switch but it does not have a live feed.

Is there anyway I can jump a live over to the none live circuit.

The switch is a double switch with L1, L2 and L3 on each side.

Please can anyone tell me how to wire this so I can work each switch separately.

Sponsored Links
Firstly the wire you call neutral is not neutral it is a switched live.

If it were you would cause a short circuit by closing the switch.

You could jump a live from one switch to another but you do not have a neutral so it won't work.

Please have a look here.

L2 is not neutral, it will be switch live, your neutrals will likely be looped in at the light fitting, you need a neutral to complete a circuit.

Thanks for quick replies, can I take a neutral from another switch. Is there anyway I can make this work.

Sponsored Links
It's likely all your switches are configured the same, with live, switch live and earth/CPC. No neutrals! You need to take a feed from the loop at the light fitting. Don't be taking the neutral from another circuit as this could cause problems.

It won't be possible to take a feed from light fitting as all plastered in now.

I have 2 wires at switch now that feed a 12 volt led transformer to plinth lights. I also as you say have a 2 wires that are switching the live for the kitchen downlights. I have brown and blue feeding transformer. Could I do anything else, maybe take a live from somewhere else,

I have a light fitting nearby on same ring but it's not the same switch.

A circuit requires a Line (live) conductor and a neutral to function and a CPC for protection.
It's as simple as that, if you have no neutral it will not work!
Ignore the colours of the cable, they don't know what colour they are, just because it's blue or black does not mean it is a neutral.
If the other switch/light has a neutral you stand a chance.
The only other option you have is by taking a fused spur from a socket, I guess the walls are also plastered to, so your stuffed if you are not prepared to make that compromise.

But worryingly, you don't seem to get the simple concept of circuit arrangements, it may be wise to employ a pro (no disrespect, but better safe than sorry)

Hi. I can easily get back to the fuse box. Would it be ok to run a new wire from lighting circuit to switch.

Hi. I can easily get back to the fuse box. Would it be ok to run a new wire from lighting circuit to switch.
Given your knowledge of circuits and how they operate I would give the consumer unit a wide berth.
Just to clarify I assume you mean that you have installed lights in the plinth under the kitchen floor units.
I also assume that these lights are extra low voltage in that they run through a transformer and that you have run cable from the transformer to the double gang light switch. Thus presenting a live/neutral and earth at the light switch.
If this is all correct then you best option is to access one of the sockets behind/under the kitchen units that forms part of the ring and isn't already a spur.
From here run 2.5mm² cable to the supply side of a 3A fused connection unit.
To keep it simple run 1mm² T&E cable from the load side of the FCU to a 4 way junction box close to the switch/transformer cable putting the live/neutral and earth in their own terminals leaving one spare - which is called the switch live.
Remove the existing switch cable from the transformer and connect the brown to the live terminal at the junction box and the blue (marked with brown sleeving or tape) to the spare (switch live) junction box terminal.
Then connect another 1mm² T&E cable from the junction box to the transformer - at the jb connecting the brown to the switch live (blue with brown sleeving) and the blue to the neutral and earth to earth.
Then wire the transformer as before putting the earth in a connector block if no earth terminal exists.
Then wire the light switch with brown into L1, blue with brown sleeving into L2 and earth to the earth lug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back