Wiring in a conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will i be ok taking a spur off the ring main from my kitchen into an RCD socket and then adding a light and switch and three extra double sockets into my new conservatory??

Sponsored Links
no, becasue you will then be spuring from a spur.

several options

put conseravator on own ring,

make conservatory part of existing ring

fit a fcu, and fit as many sockets as you like

under part p, you can not add to yor kitchen, also one rcd socket is ok, but the others will not be rcd protected, which they should since yo may plug in a lawnmower and it will have no rcd protection

the quickest and safest way to add power/lighting to your conservatory without adding a complete new circuit is to take a spur from your ring main in the house&install,out of site but accessible,an unswitched 13A fused spur.This will then act as a miniature CU.You can run a radial circuit around for your sockets but be careful how much load you are intending to use in the conservatory as the circuit will only run upto a max of 13A from the fused spur,however,most things in a conservatory are low power consuming such as t.v's,radio's,table lamps&such like.Just try&shy away from using an electric heater&remember that,although it is tempting,that you are not safe to use any electric equipment outside unless you have an RCD at you're main CU or on the equipments plug top.
To add a lighting circuit you can add another fused spur to your conservatory radial but this time install a switched spur.You can then have a safe lighting circuit by changing the 13A fuse for a 5A fuse and also use the switched spur as a light switch.
Hope this has helped you.
Ben

Sponsored Links
ben.g said:
remember that,although it is tempting,that you are not safe to use any electric equipment outside unless you have an RCD at you're main CU or on the equipments plug top.
Or make the FCU mentioned an RCD one....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back