Conservatory Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced a conservatory and i am in the process of adding 2 more double sockets. on inspection of the old wiring i have found that the previous owner has taken a spur off a double socket in my living room-gone through the outside wall-ran the cable in white plasitic conduit for about a metre along outside of house-gone through the wall into the conservatory to a 3amp fused socket (which he has taken the lighting circuit from). where the spur cable comes into the 3amp fused socket he has then added another spur cable for 2 double sockets which are radial.
Is it just me or is this a right mess and how can i fix this.
I wiould prefer to extended the ring main into the conservatory from the house, is this the right way to go??

Sponsored Links
Where the spur originates, put a fused spur there with 13A fuse in.

Then the output goes to the conservatory sockets. Where you tap off for the lights you want another spur going down to 3A.

Hi Securespark,

Good idea but would this restrict what i can plug in the conservatory as i might want to put an electric heater in?
Could i remove all old wiring then from the back of the living room socket disconnect one of the wires then run a cable to the conservatory sockets in a ring then back to the living roon socket connecting one wire to the socket and the other to the existing cable using 32A choc blocks thus copleting the ring?

Sponsored Links
Yes you could extend the ring. There's a guide in the WIKI on how to do this.

Although IMO 13apm should be enough for the average conservatory, even with the load of a heater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back