Wiring in downlights under kitchen cabinets.....

25 Jan 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom

I'd like to fit some small downlights under my kitchen wall units (only 3 or 4) to better light the worktop.

I've seen some that I like in b-and-q, basically a transformer with a 'breakout box' type thing that has connections for about 4 lights.

It's possible to buy a domestic 3 pin plug type adapter which would make the installion very easy indeed, however I'd really like to have the lights come on/off with the main kitchen light.

So am I correct in guessing that the transformer can be wired into the kitchen lights circuit?

I'm not experienced with electrics so I'll probably not do this myself, I just want to know how it needs to be done so that I can fit the lights myself and then get someone in to wired them up...That is unless it's really easy to do.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
I think you have answered your own question, it really depends on which way you decide to go,but if you are getting someone in to do it don't worry they will know how.
The transformer needs to be wired in with your kitchen light. This can be done by taking the supply from permanent live (usually the 3 red wires in the middle of the ceiling rose) to the primary side of the transformer.
Then connect you cabinet lights to the secondary side - 12v side.

Check this out, but remember such work is notifiable to LABC


DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links