Wiring indicator buzzer. Possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I've got a 2015 diesel Kia Carens. All standard, no mods.

When the engine is running, the standard indicator sound is inaudible and cannot be increased (it seems to have diminished in volume substantially over the last couple of years), so I am wondering if it's possible to wire in a buzzer as shown to provide an audible alert whenever an indicator or the hazards are on. It's just a spare buzzer I had, but I don't know if it'll do this task.

If so, where would be the best place for it, please?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20230114_112718.jpg
    IMG_20230114_112718.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 45
Sponsored Links
Looking at some Kia forums, they seem to have had many issues with the Sportage and its instrument cluster speaker - Do you get all the other normal warning beeps and bells?

Yes, everything else is 100% fine. It's just the clicker sound for the indicator. It's definitely much quieter than it used to be, and can't be heard under normal driving conditions, let alone with the radio on or people talking in the car.

That looks like a piezo sounder. If you connect that in parallel with any of the actual 12v lamps, then it will do what you want it to do - make a noise when the indicators are running. Black to car body, red to the lamp. Probably the easiest lamp to connect to, will be the side repeater lamp. You can vary the volume level, with a bit of blue tack, placed over the hole in the sounder.

Sponsored Links
I do have two, yes. I thought I might try and wire them into the rear lights, as that seems to be the easiest access point. Does that seem logical, or is there a location I'm overlooking? Cheers

I do have two, yes. I thought I might try and wire them into the rear lights, as that seems to be the easiest access point. Does that seem logical, or is there a location I'm overlooking? Cheers

If you can still hear them, installed in the boot, that's OK. If you need them to be louder, installed in the dash, then the side repeater wiring is nearest the dash.

Thanks, Harry. I understand. The buzzers were pretty loud when I tested then with 2 x 1.5v AA batteries, so hopefully they'll be louder still on the car's voltage.

On the Carens, the front indicator lights are built into the wing mirrors, and I can't see how to access the wiring tbh. For an amateur like myself, I think the rear clusters, which are each held on with just 2 screw and which I had off yesterday just to look at, will be easier to tackle. I'm having a go at it today, so fingers crossed.

It's a strange one.

I cut into the positive wire (definitely the positive, the one going to the nipple on the base of the bulb), attached the positive buzzer wire to that and then attached the negative to the chassis but got no buzz even though the bulb still flashed.

So, for something else to try, I cut into the negative and attached the negative buzzer wire to that but likewise got nothing from the buzzer even though the bulb once again flashed fine.

So, I took the buzzer off again and tested it with the AA batteries and it buzzed fine, so I'm stumped!

Just had a thought. The chassis is painted where I connected the negative wire. If contact has to be made as suggested, do I need to scratch the paint off on a little area to get a bare metal connection?

Just had a thought. The chassis is painted where I connected the negative wire. If contact has to be made as suggested, do I need to scratch the paint off on a little area to get a bare metal connection?

Yep, it only works bare metal, to bare metal.

Sponsored Links
Back